We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Just wondering if I need to have lollies etc ready for trick or treaters on halloween in Glasgow. Our kids would love to celebrate Halloween and have been talking about it a lot at school but not sure if we will actually get anyone trick or treating. In Australia we don't really have Halloween, retaillers keep trying to promote it but hasn't really taken off. We are in the westend in the park area so not a lot of kids around here.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Hi

I think it would be best to have something in for the 'guisers'. We usually get a few knocks on our door (about 15-20 kids in total), but one year nobody came at all, so you never can tell. You might get kids who stay a few streets away. Most people buy apples, tangerines and peanuts (in their shells), but I think the kids are happiest when they receive sweets, crisps and the odd coin (my Mum usually gives out 20p coins along with the food, although I don't think this should be encouraged). Hope you and your kids have a great time.

Amanda

Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Hi

I think it would be best to have something in for the 'guisers'. We usually get a few knocks on our door (about 15-20 kids in total), but one year nobody came at all, so you never can tell. You might get kids who stay a few streets away. Most people buy apples, tangerines and peanuts (in their shells), but I think the kids are happiest when they receive sweets, crisps and the odd coin (my Mum usually gives out 20p coins along with the food, although I don't think this should be encouraged). Hope you and your kids have a great time.

Amanda

Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Hi

Amanda

Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Sorry about the triplication of my reply. My computer got confused and told me it hadn't posted, twice.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Trick or treating is an American abomination that's creeping into Scotland, mostly encouraged by retailers who sell plastic tat for kids to wear.

Guising is a Scottish tradition of children calling on neighbours and performing a song, poem or joke in return for nuts, sweets, money etc.

I don't cough up unless I get a whole verse of a song or at least a funny joke, and I like to see a bit of effort in the costume as well. Not impressed by a black binbag over the head.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Hi, I agree with the previous replies in that you should maybe have a few goody bags made up (small food bags are ideal) just in case, the supermarkets sell cheap multi packs and your own kids can have whatever is left, todays kids are a bit more cynical and in my day a few sweets, nuts and fruit may have been ok but todays kids are after cash, so it's your call.

Where you are in the West End it is mostly young professionals so I cannot see you getting too many visitors plus Parents these days are more protective so kids do not stray too far, mostly sticking to their own street.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

Thankyou all for your quick responses. Will purchase some treats just in case but I do't think we will get many children coming by. Have decided to have a little party at home for our kids with a few decorations and some halloween themed food, chopped off fingers with blood (sausages with ketchup) and worms in slime (snake lollies in lime jelly). As we have visitors over from Australia at the moment the kids be "guisers" for them and get treats. As you say I'm sure they will enjoy any left over treats from my little stash. Thanks again and Happy Halloween!

8. Re: Halloween Trick or Treat or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 06:19