We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow this weekend.

Swansea
Level Contributor
70 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow this weekend.

Arriving on Thursday evening and staying for 4 days in the Merchant City area. Anything on this weekend worth knowing about or seeing, live music, concerts, etc, many thanks Evs.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

I am a bit past the age of clubbing but I like Blackfriars pub, which is right in the middle of the Merchant city. (http://www.blackfriarsglasgow.com/)

They serve good pub food and they have a basement for bands and comedy shows. This may be good for one of your evenings and their website shows that they have events on this weekend.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

Hi, more things to do/see and places to eat/drink than you can shake a stick at here:

http://www.list.co.uk/events/where:Glasgow/

have fun!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

Hi

(Btw, I do like your new image, purpleceltic.)

If the list does not leave you totally spoilt for choice, then www.seeglasgow.com can add a few more ideas.

I'll be heading to the Mitchell to see all the pictures in the RGI annual exhibition, but that may not be your cup of tea.

Afterwards a nice curry at Balbirs and a trip to the Stand, perhaps...

Level Contributor
180 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

Sunday night they will have a big event in City Centre. All the Xmas lights in the area will be turned on at the same time. It should be very festive if you're into that.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

Hi PC; piggy backing on other folk's questions! (Hope you've found your day in the sun?).

Thanks to your link I've found a number of things to add to those already booked. I'll mention these in case it helps others as suggestions for a weekend (NB we're 60 & 63 so ancient folk prices available BUT we can't use our English bus passes even though I'm from Paisley too many years ago).

Wife & self are coming by train from Lytham St Annes Fri 20 Nov - Mon 23 Nov. 1st class on Virgin for £88 total (Std is cheaper but it's a treat and we'll get b/fast up and dinner & wine back).

After checking T/advisor site (thank goodness - just how bad are some Glasgow hotels – even chain hotels usually good elsewhere!), staying 3 nts Radisson by Central Station – good web rate.

Friday: Arrive hotel 11.00 – dump luggage – on to Byres Road for a wander – reserved evening at La Lanterne via 5pm.com (3 course for two incl wine £50).

Saturday: Art Gallery & Transport Museum – Mother India’s “Tapas” for late lunch – back to hotel to change – then 5pm matinee “Copacabana” at the Kings (any ideas for reasonable, not too expensive dinner near the Kings around 8pm?).

Sunday: Tall Ship for free Christmas Market - walk over to Science Mall (very helpful on phone – oldie tickets @ £6.25 plus IMAX Christmas Carol @ only £4.50 – a real bargain) – (again any ideas for dinner Sunday near Radisson?).

Monday morning: Fraser’s & Prince’s Arcade – train not till after 4pm.

The Kings will be a real treat for me – my father loved the theatre and I have great memories of all the Glasgow pantomimes and Half Past Eight shows etc. – Kings, Theatre Royal, Alhambra, Empire, Pavilion – Jimmy Logan, Stanley Baxter, Rikki Fulton, Jack Milroy et al – I even remember Robert Wilson !!!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

If your after check out The List www.list.co.uk, click on Music and search by date. Hey Presto, all the gigs in Glasgow this weekend pop up.

For me the pick of this weekend is Alberta Cross live at The Captains Rest on Great Western Road on Friday night. The Fall are playing The Ferry for two nights and Alabama3 are on in town.

Have a good one

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

Oh gawd Bax - so old ....! The "Ferry" to me is something I used to get to on the tram from Paisley; cross over the Clyde with all chains rattling; and tram back to the centre of Glasgow.

AND, just in case you're interested; according to Purple Celtic's contacts, the Alexander Brothers are playing at the Pavilion !!!! Anyone remember Lex McLean?

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

I will agree that the Alabama 3 concert at the 02 Academy will be great. I went to the last one - superb! Unfortunately I cannot make it this time. Tickets only £16.

Woke up this morning - got myself a gun.

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

hi buddy

sounds like you have a great itinerary there! you certainly are making the most of your trip, good for you :) i too have many good memories of the kings, my nana used to sing with the glasgow grand opera society so used to go on a regular basis :)

anyway, have a look on 5pm for some deals on sauchiehall street or bath street although about 8pm on a saturday that area will become very busy. you could head to http://www.twofatladiesrestaurant.com/ there are a few locations but there is one in blytheswood square, im sure they are on 5pm. they are also off sauchiehall street so not as busy. Or there is the Bouzy Rouge, a bit further down west regent street, a short taxi ride from the king's, again available on 5pm.

hope you have a lovely trip to glasgow and down memory lane :)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow this weekend.

Thanks jen1:

We've now booked through "Top Table" for a good deal after the theatre at 1 Bistro (below Alla Turco) - it's not expensive so should be OK - fairly good reviews. Thinking of The Living Room for Sunday evening (40% off through Top Table or 5pm.com). My wife liked the one in Edinburgh though not the folk in Edinburgh (she's from Devon and likes to see folk smile at you!). We might book Rogano's for Monday lunch, again specials - I use to be taken there by a rich uncle (he was a CA).