We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

We have been lucky enough to get tickets for a forthcoming game at Parkhead.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to walk there from Central Station - how long would it take and what route we would need to take.

Failing that what is the best way to get there and back again?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

It's a bit too far to walk.

The 61 and 62 buses from Argyle St will get you there.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

I have walked in the past and it does take a long time - not really recommended so I would go with the advice above.

Unless you fancy the exercise that is

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

Hi, it is about 3 miles so would take around 45 mins to walk, straight road up past Glasgow Cross and the Barras

As you are at Glasgow Central then take the escalators next to Platform12/13 and go down to the Low Level Station and catch a train Eastbound to Bridgeton (2 stops) and from here it is no more than a brisk 10 min walk up London Road.

You may find that after the match you may have little alternative to walk back to the City Centre as up to 60,000 fans will be leaving all at once and traffic is heavy on all roads leading away.

Scotland
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

Yes it is walkable and recommended. I used to walk it every other week. Its pretty much a straight road, starting on Argyle St at Central station keep going until you get to Glasgow Cross where the road forks. From here you will be able to see the Barras(which becomes the Gallowgate), head for that then keep going. If you fancy a beer pre-match you can choose any pub on this stretch as they will be full of Celtic supporters. Keep going along the Gallowgate and just after the School on your right hand side the stadium will come into view. It should take no more than 45 minutes to walk it. There will be plenty of other Celtic fans around the city centre so if you're struggling, just follow them. I would tend to avoid the Bridgeton area if possible. Don't go anywhere near it with Celtic colours.

scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. 45 mins isn't too bad. Perhaps I should have said we're Aberdeen fans (won't be wearing colours though) so I don't imagine we'd be welcome in Bridgeton or any Celtic pub although I belive Celtic and Aberdeen fans (not the hooligan type) actually get on not too badly and an exchange of banter is quite acceptable. We'll soon see!

6. Re: Is Parkhead from City Centre Walkable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 05:16