We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

Atlanta
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

Wife and I will be flying in to Glasgow Airport from Paris around 4:00pm on a Saturday. Looking to stay at a B&B in Glasgow for a night then driving around Scotland for 4 days. We'll end up in Edinburg (airport) and will drop off there and fly to London. I've priced most car rental places and Enterprise is MUCH cheaper...is there a reason for this? Before I started pricing out, a friend highly recommended to stay away from Enterprise...agree/disagree?

Anybody know the rough taxi cost from Glasgow airport to Glasgow city center? Trying to figure out if it's best to get a car that night or wait till the following day.

Thanks,

George

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

I've used Enterprise and had no problems.

Don't know the taxi fare but there's a fast and frequent airport bus which will be cheaper than a taxi.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

Hi, Taxi will cost approx £20

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

According to the Renfrewshire Taxi Cab website a taxi from the airport to Glasgow City centre is approx £13.

These cabs, which are "normal" cars wait at the airport.

Traditional "black cabs" must be booked in advance and will cost close to £20

I have used enterprise, not in Glasgow, and had no problems.

Advantages of picking up at the airport:-

You are there anyway so no separate trip needed to the hire company

Leaves you free to start your next day's travels when you wish.

Disadvantages

You may be tired after a long flight

Cost of parking in city centre may have to be added.

Personally I would hire at the airport and stay in the West End of the city, approx 20 minutes drive away. You should be able to park for free in this part of the world.

Then the next morning, if you are heading north, you get onto the A82 (Great Western Road)and away you go.

London
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

Are you comparing equal quotes with equal. I've been snagged by enterprise once in the past (and it was a pick up at Glasgow) where they quoted a great rate but it did not include the mandatory insurance.....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

Yes - many car hire firms have lots of 'hidden', 'optional' extras - insurance, second driver, collision damage waiver, supercover, one-way drop-off fees, windscreen excess, etc, etc.

It's virtually impossible to pick up a car for the price you expected.

6. Re: Glasgow Car Rental - Need Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow