We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special place to eat in the west end?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Special place to eat in the west end?

Hi,

Im from Glasgow myself but don't often go to the west end. I'm looking for a nice place for dinner, my friend is getting married, but doesn't want a hen night, just wants to go for a nice dinner somewhere, so we thought we'd go to the west end for something a bit different.

There will be 2 vegetarians in the group. When in town we like 29 grill on the square, is there any place like that, with nice surroundings, and where we wont look out of place really dressed up?

I've looked on 5pm to get an idea of places, but don't know what they are like.

thanks a lot

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

I've got a number of restaurants on my 'places to eat in the West End' wish-list, and I need them to be veggie friendly too so would always double check on booking. They include:

No 16 Restaurant - small and cosy eaterie at the lower end of the Byres Road. Loads of great reviews in the newspapers:

www.5pm.co.uk/Browse/Restaurant/No_Sixteen…

La Vallee Blanche at the upper end of Byres Road is a highly rated French 'dining room' with modest sized menu. Probably slightly more limited for veggies due to it's Frenchness:

http://www.lavalleeblanche.com/

Stravaigin on Gibson Street is very high on my list, as is it's little sister Stravaigin 2 on Ruthven Lane:

http://www.stravaigin.com/

Then there's the Ubiquitous Chip, a place that often polarises opinion, no doubt because of the high expectation.

http://www.ubiquitouschip.co.uk/index.html

I'm just scratching the surface, lol!

Hope that helps get you started.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

www.cailbruich.co.uk/menus/cbw_ala_carte/

Another to try on Great Western Road, almost adjacent to Byres Road.

Depending on when you are going the new restaurant at the Hilton may well be open - allegedly supposed to be opening by/for easter.

Bovine - as the name suggests it will be a steakhouse so no idea what the veggie options will be.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 17:10
UK
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

My choice would be La Vallée Blanche on Byres Road for excellent food in a semi-formal setting.

Alternatives would be the Ubiquitous Chip in Ashton Lane or Stravaigin 2 in Ruthven Lane.

Enjoy!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

For somewhere fancy you could go to the Bistro in One Devonshire Gardens, or maybe try one of the restaurants in Oran Mor.

glasgow
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

hi we had a stag do last year in dimaggios just off byres road, it was a great night, food service etc was all perfect. but this year we had a leaving party for one of my work collegues and we went to a new place in town call Assams, its an Indian restaurant that let you bring your own wine. \I have to say it was superb great value for money and the staff were just spot on.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

I know a lot of people can't bring themselves to go to dimaggios in ruthven lane any more, though I do enjoy their place in the city centre. Did you pick somewhere yet Christine?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

thanks for all your suggestions, I will have a look through them, and see what looks best for the occasion. Want it to be a special night for her, although she wants no fuss.

thanks again everyone, will let you know when I have decided

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

Another vote for La Valle Blanche. Lovely French dining in a nice setting.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

Hi

I'm not sure - although La Valle Blanche is v. popular it is not v. veggie friendly unfortunately.

The bistro at Hotel du Vin is probably one of the most special, but I haven't tried it out yet - they also do special offers - or at least did last month, am not sure if they are still running.

Let us know what you choose and what you think.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Special place to eat in the west end?

I'd definitely go for No 16