We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How would you define Glasgow?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
How would you define Glasgow?

It seems that Glasgow is not yet a big tourist destination.

Is it interesting enough to spend two or three days in Glasgow?

If you compare with Edinburgh, does Glasgow has the same interest?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

I won't answer your questions directly, but will describe my experiences. On my first visit to Scotland, I spent four nights in Edinburgh and three in Glasgow. At the end of that visit, I decided I had seen all I wanted to see of Edinburgh, but I had barely scratched the surface in Glasgow. I have subsequently returned to Glasgow, spending five nights.

Should I return to Scotland again, it will be to visit the Western Isles and the Orkneys. I will plan a couple of nights in Glasgow as part of those visits. I have no inclination to return to Edinburgh.

For me, Edinburgh has a couple of obvious and very important "must see" attractions. Glasgow is great city, deserving multiple visits.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

most tourist guides focus on Edinburgh due to the fact it is the Capital of Scotland and has Edinburgh Castle as it's main attraction. Whilst it is undoubtedly a historic city with many worthwhile sights I would suggest Glasgow has much more relatively undiscovered/little known sights.

Glasgow has a wealth of spectacular architecture, was home to many inventors and visionaries and is known worlwide for it's art collections and background in this area.

The atmosphere in Glasgow is friendlier than Edinburgh and the people are more open (as a rule). Not than I have a bias one way or the other :)

The official Glasgow website may give you a flavour for the city.

http://www.seeglasgow.com/

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Thank you for the replies, I think I must visit Glasgow!

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Here in America, on BBC America they aired a series called Glasgow Kiss. It made me want to add Glasgow to my itinerary next time I visit the UK. I know you can't judge a city by a TV show, but even by the external shots alone it seems like a good place to visit.

Cheers,

Dev

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Devlin, I agree with you a movie can give a good idea of a city. I am always glad to see "Heat" because the action is in LA, and because I like LA where I've been at least six times.

Since I saw the movie "Lost in translation" I have decide that I must visit Tokyo one day.

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Hiya Chris75~

True. I have a whole list of cities I want to visit because of tv shows or movies. There is a town in the UK I want to visit because of a series called "Last of the Summer Wine"

But, sometimes the external scenes in a movie or tv show can be misleading.

There was a very popular show here in The States, a copy of British show called "Queer as Folk". In the American version, it was supposed to be set in Pittsburg. It was actually filmed though in Toronto, and all the bar scenes are set on Church Street in Toronto. I can imagine the disappointment to anyone who's gone to Pittsburg expecting it to be like "Queer as Folk". Nothing against Pittsburg, but it is the birthplace of Lint (as in belly-button lint). Not the most charming or gracious of our cities.

From friends I've heard that Glasgow has a much better nightlife than does Edinburgh.

Cheers,

Dev

Scotland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Glasgow is fabulous and well worth visiting. There is so much to see and do that you'll wish you were there for longer.

I've lived in both Glasgow and Edinburgh and certainly both have their good and bad points, but personally I prefer Glasgow. It has just as much culture and history as Edinburgh (as well as great shops!), but it has a really different feel, which you'll only understand by visiting. You'll also find the people very friendly and, generally, happy to chat to you if you strike up a conversation.

Visit soon!!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Devlin, Before you go I hope you know the meaning of Glasgow kiss?

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Thank you to all of you, I am convinced, I will visit Glasgow!

One more question : how is the weather in Glasgow in January or February?

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How would you define Glasgow?

Hiya LondonBob~

Please enlighten me. I have no idea what it means, and by your message I'm now sure it is something I shoud know before mentioning it in Glasgow.

Let me give a guess. It's something s3xual, in the oral department....? Anywhere close?

Anxiously awaiting reply. :o)

Cheers,

Dev

The series was still very interesting.