We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Location ?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Location ?

Hi,

Just been invited to a family wedding, and looking for a place to stay.

The Reception is to be at the 'Ubiquitous Chip ' Aston Lane, are there any decent hotels near by, was looking at Menzies , is it child friendly , looked at reviews but seems to be a business hotel ?

Is it any where near the reception, dosnt matter if its a taxi ride as long as not too far,

Thank you in advance,

regards Denise.:-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Location ?

If you want to push the boat out the Hilton Grosvenor is at the top of the Byres Road a few minutes walk away. Alternatives that are not too far away, and still in the west end would include The Alamo Guest House - very popular with Tripadvisor reviewers, or the Kelvingrove Hotel:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186534-d6179…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186534-d2090…

For all of these places parking is limited, but not impossible so you might want to email the hotels to ask for further details if parking is needed. The alternative might be to consider one of the hotels just across the river that have plentiful free parking, but then you'd miss being in the thick of it perhaps?

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Location ?

Hi Purplecltic,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

We don't intend to drive so parking is not an issue, will be traveling with my daughter and 5 year old granddaughter, so am thinking of flying up.

I looked at the Hilton, but some of the reviews were not so great, unless im looking at the wrong Hilton !!

So is the Hilton close to the Ubiquitous Chip ? and is Menzies hotel a long way off ?

Again many thanks,

Denise.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,762 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Location ?

Hi as Purple says the Hilton Grosvenor is the nearest hotel, you could try the Jury's Pond Hotel which is only a mile along Great Western Rd.

There are several Hotels next to the Alamo, such as Smiths, The Argyle Etc or you could try the newly refurbed Lorne Hotel, all of these are a £3.50 taxi ride away.

Menzies is more on the western periphy of the City Centre and would cost about £5 in a taxi.

As Purple says base your decision on parking as well, as what you save on a hotel you might end up paying on on-street parking or worse getting towed away!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,762 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Location ?

Sorry our posts crossed so forget the parking bit, you could actually stay in a city centre hotel as Hillhead subway station is actually right underneath the Ubiquitous Chip, if you do not want to take the subway then a taxi will only cost around £5-6, I could give you an exact price, but i would get slagged by others LOL, would'nt I team!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Location ?

There are plenty of chain hotels in the city centre so you will have plenty to choose from

The Pond Hotel used to have a pool but that went a long time ago I think.

The Hilton Grosvenor is undoubtedly the most handily placed hotel, just minutes form The Chip.

There are other smaller hotels as suggested, a couple of others are The Belhaven Hotel tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186534-d1918… and The Ambassador tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186534-d2109… both very close to the Botanic Gardens should your granddaughter fancy a stroll and an ice-cream. The Ambassador also has apartments next door (Embassy Apartments) if you want to go self catering.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Location ?

Hi Madscotsman115,

Thanks for the info, will take a look at the hotels you have suggested, I have mobility problems, so taxis would be fine and i dont mind paying up to £15 for a taxi !!! it costs a lot more than that down here for me to go out in the evening !!!

If we stayed at Menzies are we too far out to see any sights ? we will have around 6 hrs to kill on the day we fly home .

Many thanks Denise :-)

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Location ?

Thanks for that Youngerthanthen,

Have just found a map of the area, and the Hilton does look handy, shame its reviews are not great, i could ask for a refurbished room ! Will take a look at the other recommendations ,

Many thanks,

Denise :-)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Location ?

Had a look at the reviews and they are indeed not all flattering!

The Menzies hotel is not too far from the sites, especially if you take a taxi, but is not the most exciting part of town.

The Hilton does win hands down on location, but maybe it would be a gamble!

For info I have relatives, with mobility problems, who have used The Ambassador, Embassy Apartments and The Belhaven.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,762 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Location ?

Hi Denise, £15 for a taxi, if only i could get a few of them in a shift! Seriously you could go right across the whole city for that, if you are just tootling about the periphy of the city centre then trips will only be around a fiver.

You do not say how reliant you are in mobility terms as some of the smaller hotels we have mentioned might pose a few problems so check when researching, Glasgow Taxis Ltd (0141 429 7070)are all traditional Hackney so are all "facility"cabs should you have a wheelchair. other taxi firms are actually "Private Hire" so will be normally a saloon car.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Location ?

Just for balance have a peek at the Grosvenor Hilton reviews on Laterooms website, written by people booking via them. they are fairly positive:

laterooms.com/en/p8404/pv95132/hotel-reviews…

I would opt for the Hilton Grosvenor in a heartbeat on the basis that it will make the big day so much less effort in terms of getting to and from the venue, plus it's ideally located for spending time in the Botanics or strolling around the lovely shops of the Byres road area, or heading through the Kelvingrove Park to the Museum - mobility willing.

Hillhead subway is just alongside the Ubiquitous Chip and will get you into the city centre in a jiffy, or you could take a taxi. Madscots taxi fare estimates are invaluable, no really :-)

PS good idea to ask them for a refurbed room too!

Edited: 26 April 2010, 17:48