We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamies Italian

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Jamies Italian

Hi,

I've read on Jamie Oliver's website that they are going to open a branch of Jamie's Italian in Glasgow in July. Does anyone know when exactly this place will open? I'll be in Glasgow July 13-15. Thanks!

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: Jamies Italian

oh picky picky people.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Jamies Italian

Hello,

Since it was me who started this thread a while ago I thought I should also let you know what our visit to Jamie's Italian in Glasgow was like.

We went on the first day of our trip to Scotland on July 13. Both my sister and I enjoyed it a lot! We went around 7pm and were told we'd have to wait for about 40 minutes. They gave us a kind of "beeper" and we waited in the downstairs bar. The grape and cucumber martini we had there was refreshing and absolutely delicious. After about 35 minutes our "beeper" started flashing and a waitress took us to our table upstairs. We each had pasta and a salad, the house wine, an espresso and dessert.

My sister and I were both very satisfied with our food and the service. The atmosphere was buzzing, but very pleasant. It was a great first evening of an altogether brilliant holiday in Scotland!

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Jamies Italian

"oh picky picky people."

Thank goodness there are so many on here to keep things on an even keel.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Jamies Italian

The Sunday Herald did a review this week. they gave it 7/10. They also commented on the unacceptable waiting times.

heraldscotland.com/life-style/food-drink/joa…

Edited: 17 August 2010, 10:58
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Jamies Italian

Been watching this thread for a while now.. Not eaten there yet but I have eaten three times in 15 Amsterdam and been failry disappointed with the food quality. I was taken there by my company twice so not my choice and by friends who just wanted to eat at an Oliver restaurant against my advice in case you were wondering why I would go three times to somewhere I didn't like.

Seems that the long queues are due to the popularity of the place and the restaurant can hardly be blamed for that. If they only have a finite throughput then what would people like then to do, tilting chairs to get people out who insist on sitting too long at their tables.

Hope to try it soon.In Glasgow tomorrow afternoon so who knows.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Jamies Italian

Some people had a good experience, some were disappointed, so there seems to be a problem with consistency at the restaurant. I hope they can get that sorted asap.

I will always choose to give more weight to the opinions and experiences from regular posters with history here. I'm not cynical, but it's almost inevitable that some people will appear out of the blue to either verbally trash a place or praise it to the hilt when there is so much at stake, either for the place itself, or for it's competitors. Just an observation.

BTW calling people picky is rather unkind. I prefer to call those people discerning and careful where they spend their hard earned money. After all, there is plenty of choice out there in Glasgow of excellent standard. I hope Jamies can raise their game to match the best.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Jamies Italian

Off there again on Monday. Hopefully the consistency is up to scratch (as I enjoyed it last time...)

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Jamies Italian

Well, I finally visited Jamie's Kitchen myself . I have deliberately avoided it because of all the reports about having to queue but we were passing on Friday evening and as there were spare tables we decided to give it a try. I went with an open mind as I had read reports both good and bad about the place.

What a disappointment it was!

The starters were over priced and very small portions. They charged us almost £4 for bread, oils and balsamic which our wee local Italian gives is for nothing. We had a bottle of Primitivo, which was OK.

We both selected (overpriced) pasta dishes. I had a scallop pasta done in squid ink - tasteless!

My wife had a rabbit pasta dish. The pasta was a tasteless glutinous mess with a few grains of something in it that may have been rabbit. Once again tasteless!

I did not have a dessert but my wife had Panna Cotta, which she did like.

I have been in many Italian restaurants and I am afraid that the food we had in here is amongst the worst. It's a nice place and it does have a certain ambiance but that does not make up for tasteless and just plain bad food. I can honestly say that I can do better at home. I will certainly not be back and I will not be sending anyone else there either.

Sorry Jamie, you need to forget the school dinners and have a look at what's going on in your own kitchen for a wee while.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Jamies Italian

Well, I finally visited Jamie's Kitchen myself . I have deliberately avoided it because of all the reports about having to queue but we were passing on Friday evening and as there were spare tables we decided to give it a try. I went with an open mind as I had read reports both good and bad about the place.

What a disappointment it was!

The starters were over priced and very small portions. They charged us almost £4 for bread, oils and balsamic which our wee local Italian gives is for nothing. We had a bottle of Primitivo, which was OK.

We both selected (overpriced) pasta dishes. I had a scallop pasta done in squid ink - a small portion and tasteless!

My wife had a rabbit pasta dish. The pasta was a tasteless glutinous mess with a few grains of something in it that may have been rabbit. Once again small portions and tasteless!

I did not have a dessert but my wife had Panna Cotta, which she did like.

I have been in many Italian restaurants and I am afraid that the food we had in here is amongst the worst. It's a nice place and it does have a certain ambiance and the service was passable but that does not make up for tasteless and just plain bad food. I can honestly say that I can do better at home. I will certainly not be back and I will not be sending anyone else there either.

Sorry Jamie, you need to forget the school dinners and have a look at what's going on in your own kitchen for a wee while.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Jamies Italian

Thats a real shame, especially as they do get good reports too, so consistency seems to be the issue. You should try my homemade pasta alex, it's cracking, but it's not rocket science to make the stuff, so I'm surprised that their 'main event' of pasta made on the premises should be such a let-down. Maybe they are using some european liquid egg mix. I use the freshest free range eggs. Come on Jamie, kick those people up the proverbial rear. They are tainting the reputation of a true national treasure :(