We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three nights on the cheap

Jonkoping, Sweden
10 posts
Save Topic
Three nights on the cheap

Let me apologize in advance if this is a recurring, annoying topic on the forum. I searched back a few pages and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I recently moved to Sweden and want to do a spur-of-the-moment trip with my girlfriend before I start a new job here. We chose Glasgow, based on a ridiculously cheap Ryanair fare and my dad's positive experiences doing occasional business in the city.

I need to stress the cheap suggestions here. We're planning to book a twin private room at Charing Cross Guest House (based on some excellent reviews and the breakfast included in a low price).

I've read all or most of the city's museums are free, and I'm sure that will keep us busy during the days. Based on our lodging location, are there some good options for cheap eats and drinks nearby? Any budget options for fun elsewhere in Glasgow for a couple in their early 20s?

Thanks very much.

Jonkoping, Sweden
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three nights on the cheap

Nix that, hadn't read the horrible TA reviews of Charing Cross (was going on reviews from a hostel site).

We'll be staying at Euro Hostels Glasgow near City Centre. So, do we have budget options around here?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three nights on the cheap

Hi, eating out in Glasgow can be as cheap or expensive as you want.

There are several "eat all you can" Buffet Chinese and Indian restuarants for as cheap as £5.99 at lunchtime rising to £9.99 in the evenings.

Most pubs do special meals for two for around £10 and one chain in particular Weatherspoons (Crystal Palace 200yds from your hotel is one)have great dining deals like a burger, fries and a pint/wine/soft drink for £4.69 as well as other specials.

of course theres also good old McDonalds and your traditional "chippy" with a chain called the Blue Lagoon (St Enoch Square just behind your hotel)doing a "supper" for around £2.50 at teatime

Clubs do cheap promo nights during the week and tend to be free entry before 11pm.

You are right on the River Front and only 400 yds up Jamaica St to Argyle St and the virtual city centre.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 08:11
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three nights on the cheap

There is a frequent train service from Prestwick Airport to Glasgow Central Station.From Prestwick you pay on the train and get 50pc discount if you show a copy of your air booking.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three nights on the cheap

Lucky 7 do lovely food - all lunch dishes £4 and all dinner dishes £7. Best to book in advance though as sometime you can't get a table.

http://www.lucky7glasgow.co.uk/

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three nights on the cheap

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised by the prices for food and drinks in Glasgow. someone mentioned Wethersoons. They are a great option for cheap food and drinks and they have several pubs n the city. Bear in mind that this is not fine dining but the food is tasty and low priced as are the drinks. See http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/find/City+of%20Glasgow

With regard to having fun and clubbing I am afraid I am of a dfferent generation and not au fait with that scene. What I can tell you is that if you start going to the trendy places frequented by the youngsters expect to pay much more for drinks.

Cambuslang, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three nights on the cheap

A great (and very cheap) place to eat during the day, if you're in the city centre, is Tiffany's on Glassford Street, next to the side entrance of the Argyle Street M&S and next door to Subway. Coffee and cake is £2 and everything else on the menu is well priced. The place is very clean, service is astonishingly quick and the staff are friendly.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three nights on the cheap

As a student, I used to focus my nights out in the city centre starting around Hope Street/Renfield St bars which are pretty numerous and varied. These streets border either side of Glasgow Central station (Renfield St is called Union St at the Euro Hostel end). Travel north on either of these streets and you'll find yourself on Sauchiehall St, which also has plenty of nice bars, and a couple of student clubs at its top end, like the Garage (which has a young crowd, and you do have to pay in, but has good mix of chart/pop/indie/dance music) and Campus. Be aware these are very student orientated clubs, with lots of cheesy music, but fun if you're in the right age group! Bath street which runs parallel to Sauchiehall street (1 street down) also has a few really nice bars, but you'll probably pay a little more for your drink there than on Sauchiehall.

There is also Frankensteins in West George St (near Queen St station) which opens till 3am and has more of a late bar scene as opposed to a club, if you prefer something more like that,.

As the previous poster said, you're likely to be very pleasantly surprised by how cheap food and drink can be in Glasgow, enjoy your trip!

Edited: 03 September 2010, 14:55
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three nights on the cheap

Should also have mentioned, you have a Wetherspoon's pub right on your doorstep in Jamaica St called The Crystal Palace, drink offers all the time, and really reasonably priced food.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three nights on the cheap

You can also save money on eating out by booking special deals using websites like www.5pm.co.UK

Lots of places do cheap "pre theatre" deals if you are ok to eat in the early evening.

As you say, lots of free art galleries and museums. Www.seeglasgow.com and www.list.co.UK also give ideas about whats on when you are here.

Have fun.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three nights on the cheap

Best and cheapest romantic dinner I have found is in Abode, the restaurant downstairs in the hotel, in Bath Street. The food is amazing, and really cheap if you book on 5pm, like someone mentioned above. The deal is per couple, 2 courses and bottle of wine to share is £25. Its a nice restaurant so I would go dressed smart/casual.

The cheapest cocktails I know of are in the Bay Horse, a traditional pub on Renfield St. This is very near your hostel, just a few blocks up. The cocktails are £2.50 each, all day every day.

If you want to do some bargain shopping while you are here, go to Primark on Argyle Street for cheap fashion.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow