We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real ale pubs for the ladies

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
Real ale pubs for the ladies

Looking for recommendations for city centre or west end real ale pubs that aren't just the preserve of blokes. I've only tried a handful of real ale places in Glasgow so need a little enlightenment on this subject.

To give you some idea I'd say that I would happily return to the Counting House, West Brewery and the Three Judges, but wouldn't consider a return the Horseshoe Bar despite it being beloved by many. It's full of character I know, but just a bit too blokey for me; no offence intended!

thanks

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Hi Purple, not being a real ale drinker myself, a pint of Carling does me, It is not something I notice to much, but have you tried Gallus next door to Balbirs on the corner of Church St/Dumbarton Rd, typical pub type bar but well kitted out for the Ladiees!

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Also in that area, what about the Three Judges at bottom of Byres Road where it meets Dumbarton Road? Anyway, I thought it was always a glass of wine for the ladies cos thems the rules and if we didn't have rules......

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Hi P C

Why not nip into your local book shop or W H Smiths and have a crafty look at the just-released CAMRA 2011 Good Beer Guide? It will list all the top real ale pubs in the city and each listed pub has a 80-100 word write up which should give you a good idea as to what it's like .

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

I love real ale!

Another good ale pub is Blackfriars in Merchant City. Lot's of girls in there and they often carry some unusual guest ales.

Edited: 07 October 2010, 10:03
Bradford
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Babbity Bowster is quite nice & near Blackfriars I think - years since I've been!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

The Bon Accord in North St. has the best selection of ales in the city and also provides very tasty and reasonably priced food. For a good selection of Scottish ales and a friendly atmosphere the State Bar in Holland St. fits the bill nicely and is only a short stagger from the Bon

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Blimey thats a good looking list. Hey GB you want me to spend money on a book? This is Scotland you know, lol! Actually thanks for the idea. I know someone who would really appreciate a CAMRA guide for Christmas:-)

I'm printing all these tips out, and will let you know how many we managed to tick off.

Johnboy, what are rules for? I'm told they are for breaking. I like my wine too but I won't mix it.

JoeG I once went on a hunt for Babbity Bowster, got lost and then sidetracked by the Counting House.

Alex I like the sound of unusual real ales.

Partick I imagine there might be some staggering but not by me.

Madscot, Gallus - I like that name!

Thanks all. Muchly appreciated :-)

Edited: 07 October 2010, 19:15
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Purple,

Sorry, it was an attempt (not very successful) at humour on my part with ref to Al Murray....the pub landlord???

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

Johnboy no don't apologise. It was funny. That'll teach me to knock out a quick reply when tired, You gave me a good chuckle, honest, but I didn't convey that very well.

Hope you'll forgive me >_<

That Al Murray is a very funny guy.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 08:37
10. Re: Real ale pubs for the ladies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 06:16