We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

Am I just being cynical? This place could be good BUT so many one-post wonders - the reviews read like menus !!!

No. 3 from nowhere!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

I suspect the majority of proprietors who solicit reviews do so before they know whether a customer is satisfied or not - just as the proprietor of the Pelican Cafe has already done in this thread!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

Apparently a restaurant I love and frequent keep a stack of Tripadvisor review cards at the bar. I've never seen them and never been prompted to write a review, and understand that they are not highlighted to customers, merely there to take if one wishes, and the reviews are used for valued feedback. I think that's the right way to go about it. No inducement or encouragement is offered, and less happy customers would be just as welcome to take a card as anyone else.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

["I suspect the majority of proprietors who solicit reviews do so before they know whether a customer is satisfied or not "]

Oh come on now, if you owned a business that was your livelihood would you do this given the option? AFAIAC this is not so much about the owners who are manipulating the statistics as TA, who knowingly encourage this to happen.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

[ 'if you owned a business that was your livelihood would you do this given the option?']

Actually I probably would, just as the excellent Jason already has in this thread. Not sure I'd go as far as saying you could have the meal for free if you dont like it tho' - he must be very confident :-)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
274 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

I was lucky enough to eat at The Pelica last night, and i can assure you, it is fantastic. I know my food well and they hype is all true. Have a look at Guys Restaurant Posts, a lot of one hit wonders there. And in my opinion, Guys is no where near the quality of The Pelican. Well Done Jason.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

Kirstybella that's good to know. Some of the current forum members will perhaps not recall your infamous run-in with Guy after you slated him here on a number of occasions, but the exchanges made for an interesting diversion. Praising one restaurant whilst condemning another is the sort of thing I look out for in reviews as an indication of hidden-agenda reviewing, but knowing the history between you and Guys......

37. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 13:57
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

No worries. It's just that those memories came flooding back!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

I think there are many folk on these forums with, shall we say, vested interests. We're all educated and knowledgeable so we can make up our own minds and entitled to form our own opinions but I see a lot if biased posts so I would recommend that people use the reviews for guidance.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Pelican Cafe "Reviews" : No. 3 from nowhere !!

BuddyLancs,

You seem to be preoccupied with the notion that a good review is not valid or credible simply by the fact that a review has been encouraged no matter how truthful it might be. Can the same not be said about your series of scathing and spiteful remarks since you are quite clearly encouraged by a motive to damage and blacken the name of a new and exciting restaurant without having even visited or sampled the menu.

How can you persistently draw comparisons between The Pelican and Guys without having been to Pelican. I've never eaten at Guys but my parents who frequently dine out gave Guys the accolade of the worst and most disappointing restaurant experience they have had in years.

I am offended that you discount the opinion of those less frequent posters who have left reviews simply because they have have more to do with their time that sit and write 3000 posts of drivel which would then make them an authority, like dining out at a great restaurant!