We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
308 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Anyone got the word on whats happening with the old transport museum site, and when the new one is due to open?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Re the new one; I believe about May 2011.

Re the old one; thanks to the runaway success of their TA review site, a certain Indian restaurant is expanding and taking over this part of Kelvin Hall. Apparently, the reviews are already coming in for this unopened restaurant and they have their sights on the rest of Kelvin Hall!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Lol ;-)

*submits forlorn request for contention-free thread/zone*

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,037 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Ref the old one, I would not bet against it being used in some capacity for the Commonwealth Games as some sort of indoor arena in 2014, weightlifting, boxing, that type of thing

The new one is coming along nicely and when i passed it the other night it was all lit up inside and looked like the main entrance was all boxed in right up to the roof which means they are working on the internal layout.

I hope they rebuild the old Subway Station and street again, pure nostalgia.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Hopefully this is non-contentious! I love transport anyway and have dragged "the boss" on to trains, buses AND trams in many places. She who must be obeyed even treated me to a steam engine driving day for my 60th.

Trust the new museum will have state of the art displays - how about climbing on to an old "Standard" caur and it can "shoogle" its way down a large 3D projected screen of Renfield St and speed along one of the private ways. Also, what about a sort of ghost ride from a rebuilt subway station passing through some of the old sights and sites of Glasgow arriving at a rebuilt Alhambra to see holograms of Jimmy Logan, Stanley Baxter, Jack Milroy, Ricki Fulton, Lex McLean, AND THE Chick Murray!

Oh... one can dream!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,037 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

What you are looking for then Buddy is Disneyland!

"Dis this caur go tae the plaza" "naw Son it cannae dance"

Altogether now "gonnae no dae that"

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Well Barrowland ain't what it used to be!

C'mon; gerraff, Hen!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Chic Murray was a genius,

Re Helensburgh: "It's a great place, full of entertainment. Last time I was there I weighed myself twice"

Re Scottish Guest Houses/ Hotels. On asking for some honey for his toast, "Ah. I see you keep a bee..."

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Chic was sitting at the airport idling his time away with Maidie while waiting on his holiday flight to Majorca.

He says, "I wish we had the piano with us."

Maidie says, "Why on earth would you want a piano when you're going on holiday?".

Chic says, "The passports and tickets are on top of it".

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

Thanks guys and not just for the museum feedback. It's been an education.

I guess I should take a closer at this Chic woman;-)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow Blether - whats new?

That one's at La Senza, PC!

Billy Connolly and even English comedians (yes, there are some!) idolise Chic Murray. He just used to come on stage wearing his "bunnet" and stand there with his wife throwing out one liners in his trademark laidback fashion.