We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
846 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

Hi

Myself and my friends are travelling through to glasgow city centre in the morning of the 23rd or a day out then travel to hampden. My question is

1) what is the best way to get to hampden from glasgow city centre

2) what is the best way of getting back from hampden to Edinburgh?

Best suggestions needed

thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

You can take the train from Glasgow Central station to Mount Florida which is 5 minutes walk from Hampden.

What time do you expect the concert to finish?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

1. Take a train from Central station to Mount Florida which is the nearest station to Hampden and from there it will just be a case of following the crowd.

2. Not sure of the best option for afterwards as everything will be busy but normally I would get the same train back to Central and then either walk to Queens street for the Edinburgh train or Buchanan Street for the bus.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

You will not need public transport - you will of course be floating on a cloud of ecstasy (the old fashioned kind) after seeing all the boys! Sorry - couldn't resist it.

Enjoy the gig

Woody x

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

In the past Glasgow Firstbus have ran shuttles from the City Centre out to Hampden for the really massive concerts like U2.

Likewise Scottish Citylink also recgonised a need to service the stadium concert market not only from within the City but from the East Coast and started a service for this called Concertlink with coaches running from Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen direct to the National Stadium for the really big ones of which this would be.

So my advise is to check nearer the time with Citylinks website.

As for getting back to Edinburgh by train then my advise is just walk with the crowd back to Queen St as up to 50,000 people vying for public transport after is too much and you would be qiucker walking which would only take around 35 mins on a straight road into town, the last trains to Edinburgh depart Glasgow around 2315 and usually Scotrail anticipate these hugh events and lay on extra carriages or sometimes additional trains.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

Yeah what they said, you should be able to get a train there and back, it will be mobbed so leave early and go for a couple of jars somewhere nearby or a restauant, Canasta is good and close to Hampden/ Mount Florida station. I wouldn't walk to the city centre if I were you, it'll be freezing! It's about a 45 minute walk too.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

From my personal experience of The Circus tour, it is bedlam outside Hampden when the concert finishes. It was about 11pm ish.

I think you may struggle to get the last train unless you leave early, and you wouldn't want to do that would you? Obviously check the trains nearer the time, but what about considering staying over in Glasgow?

Emelda

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

"It will be freezing" Juggernot! in June?

My daughters went to the Circus Tour concert and walked back into the City Centre in around 35 mins as they had no option due to the crowds at Mt Florida Stn.

And despite driving a Taxi I advise you not to think of taking that option!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

Aye it will be ;-)

Didn't see it was in June. It's not the most scenic walk but do-able.

9. Re: Hampden Back to Edinburgh from Take That June 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 07:17