We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Glasgow from US

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Glasgow from US

Hello.... I am planning to move to Galsgow in August with my husband and our dogs! We are looking into renting a house/flat ; somewhere that dogs are allowed. I'll be attending the Uni and I don't know what are the best/safest areas to live? please help! :)

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You do not say which Uni you will be attending but I am sure they will have a department or liason officer who specializes in assisting Students such as yourself in settling in and finding accomadation.

If it is Glasgow Uni then there is ample apartments in the West End to suit although house prices and rents are a bit more in this area as it is considered trendy to live there with it's vibrant social scene.

As for the dogs you would have to check if that would be acceptical to any prospective Landlord.

You will not have any problem walking them as we have plenty of parks, over 70, thats why we are known as "the dear green place" as we have more parkland per head of population than any other City in the UK.

If you do have to live any distance from the Uni then we have a very good Public Transport system of Bus, Train and Subway (metro) and you may want to consider the periphal suburbs where prices may be cheaper.

Regardles of where you settle you will find a very friendly people.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

Hi buffnfluff

"Hello.... I am planning to move to Galsgow in August with my husband and our dogs! We are looking into renting a house/flat ; somewhere that dogs are allowed. I'll be attending the Uni and I don't know what are the best/safest areas to live? please help! :)

Will add my thoughts later when I have more time, but just in case the thread gets pulled in the meanwhile, just wanted you to know that it's against the official guidelines to as a relocation question, but it's not against the guidelines to ask general travel related questions, so if you need to repost then you'll know to word things slightly differently. You are travelling to Glasgow after all ;-)

cheers

purple

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

I didn't know that Purple? would they really pull it for this, remember last year we had a long thread going for Buddylancs when he was thinking where to settle down and I'm sure we have had similar requests from Students before.

If they do then they really need to reconsider thier policy as i would say this would be travel related, after all we can't all get Amanda and Johnny to find us places like TV's a Place in the Sun!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

Good Luck Buff!

As has been said, if it's Glasgow Uni the West end is the closest and nicest place to stay. It is also the most expensive.

There are plenty of parks around the west end, but it is mainly flats and you may struggle to find affordable accomodation that will allow dogs.

It will really depend on your budget, have a look on www.rightmove.co.uk for what is available around the Uni.

The tube system in Glasgow is great and Hillhead station is right next to the main bits of the Uni. You could perhaps consider living further afield but near a tube station?

Cheers!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

If you want to bring animals into the UK then you need to learn about pet passports

direct.gov.uk/en/…DG_4000019

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

Buff the good thing about glasgow is its many parks, but the dog issue will complicate your search somewhat. There are many rental agencies in the city and it might be a good idea to email a few of them with your details and your doggy remit. You can find more rental agencies and estate agencies via www.yell.com (yellow pages). If you could let us know which uni then it would help a good deal. Its worth contacting the uni accommodation dept too for ideas.

Other places you might look:

http://www.citylets.co.uk/glasgow-property/

http://www.s1rental.com/

madscot, it does happen. not so much on the scottish forums but just in case i copied the question for posterity. It is indeed travel related I completely agree!

Knockentiber...
Level Contributor
648 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

"If you want to bring animals into the UK then you need to learn about pet passports"

The PETS scheme is for certain animals already residing in the UK and their onward/return travel in Europe. The passport has nothing to do with domestic animals coming from the US. For this they will still have to go through six months quarantine I'm affraid.

Here is a link to the only two Goverment approved quarantine centres in Scotland, fortunately there is one in Strathclyde.

defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/…scotland.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

On a brighter note, at least with the canine members of the family being in quarantine for 6 months the OP will have time to find accommodation with a back yard for the puppies to stay in, rather than being confined inside between 4 walls :-)

(if I was a landlord, there'd be 2 chances of tenants being allowed to keep dogs inside - Buckley's and none. I have 2 dogs, my gorgeous Rottie, Gypsy and very handsome German Shepherd, Max and they are allowed inside when it's very hot, when we're at home, but otherwise they live outside with grass to run and roll on, along with other things dogs do on grass. OK, lecture over ;-).)

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

A Rottie and a German Shepherd!!! No chance of your house getting burgled then is there?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Glasgow from US

"For this they will still have to go through six months quarantine I'm affraid."

Which is incorrect.

defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/…index.htm

Edited: 11 February 2011, 09:23