We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New openings

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
268 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
New openings

During our August holidays in Scotland, we'd like to spend a couple of nights at the soon-to-be-opened Indigo Hotel on Glasgow's Waterloo Street. It is now bookable, because according to the website it will be available as of 2 May; but it was also meant to be open in mid 2010. I'm afraid it may get delayed again and that we don't have any other proper options by that time, as there's 4 of us sharing a room.

And then there's the Museum of Transport, which I've read that should re-open in early summer.

Can anyone shed some light on whether the hotel looks as though it will open in May? And any actual date for the re-opening of the museum?

Thanks in advance!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New openings

The most recent news (this week) on the subject of hotel indigo is that they are now recruiting staff for an easter opening. Can't be any more accurate than that at the moment. I suspect there will be the usual soft opening initially.

All I know about the museum of transport is that the building is coming along nicely. haven't seen any announcements of late.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New openings

The museum is essentially finished and the exhibits are being set up now and it looks good for opening around June.

Should be a cracking day out as there is more interaction planned, for instance you can now board the Subway Car and there will be sound bites of Glaswegians talking as if you were on it for real, only thing missing is the "shoogle". This goes for other items as well, there is also now 3 streets from different era's.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
268 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New openings

By the look of things, both should be open in August. Thank you purpleceltic & madscotsman115!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New openings

Announced this morning that the luxury Car (a Bentley i think ) that belonged to the Guy that was the speech therapist in the Kings Speech is to be loaned to the museum by Sir Arnold Clark who now owns it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New openings

Hotel Indigo Glasgow opened on the 18th of April & is stunning, as is the Limelight Bar & Grill which is located within HIG

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
268 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New openings

That's great news, smokywoods! Thank you very much.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New openings

The new Transport Museum (officially called the Riverside Museum) will open to the public on 21st June.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
268 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New openings

So all my fears about getting to Glasgow too early have been cast away! Thanks a lot, JohnboyH.

9. Re: New openings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow