We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampden Park from City centre

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hampden Park from City centre

I have won two tickets for the CIS cup final on 20th March!

I am flying over from Belfast, we intend to get the airport bus to the centre and spend the morning shopping and catching some sights.

Is it possible to walk to Hampden Park? or is a taxi more advisable?

After the match, we need to be at the airport for 7 to catch a flight at 8, would we have time to go back to the centre? or should we try and book a taxi for somewhere near the ground?? (I know there will be crowds!)

Thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

Its too far to walk. I would either get a taxi or get a train from Glasgow Central to Mount Florida. Right next to park. If the games at 3 then I would just flag a taxi back to airport. Not really a great deal of time after game finish.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

Cheers Tiger

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

As Tiger I too would just get a Taxi direct to the Airport, but with the crowds can I just say try and walk towards the Victoria Infirmary for the best chance of getting one, this is in the direction behind the traditional Rangers End, just head for Mount Florida Station and it is just a few minutes further along from here on Battlefield Rd.

scotland
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

Hi niamhemer

I agree a taxi or train to Hampden. On the return to the airport, note that a black cab fare (hackney) will be between £25 and 30 from the Hampden area to the airport. I would recommend a private hire taxi (mini-cab) which will cost about £12. However they wont pick you up at the stadium (as it is too busy after a match). I would suggest heading to a local pub for a refreshment and arrange a taxi to collect you about 6-6.30. not sure if I am allowed to give taxi numbers on here but if you search private hire taxis / south side / Hampden you will get a few numbers.

Hope you have fun

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

Fifi's estimation of £25-30 is a bit ambitous, if only! £18-20 would be more like it.

Also re her suggestion of nipping into a Pub and calling a Private Hire around an hour prior to check in is not recommended.

The simple reason is that after an Old Firm Game most Taxi Drivers whether Black Hack or PH tend to stay off the road due to the possible mayhem that ensues after these games (see recent news coverage)

Also the match has to be played to a finish which could entail extra time and penalties, therefore potentialy finishing at 5.45pm.

As Fifi says you will not get a Taxi or PH to come to the stadium for you so whatever one you choose, and remember a PH cannot be hailed on the street, only phoned, I would suggest you get yourself out of there fast and down to the Airport right away.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

"As Tiger I too would just get a Taxi direct to the Airport, but with the crowds can I just say try and walk towards the Victoria Infirmary for the best chance of getting one, this is in the direction behind the traditional Rangers End, just head for Mount Florida Station and it is just a few minutes further along from here on Battlefield Rd."

Im a Celtic supporter!! and I will have my daughter with me! Yous will get me lynched!!! lol

Im just gettin over a broken ankle and cant walk far, so maybe I will book a private to drop us off and pick us up for the airport at a location that suits the driver!

But thanks for the good advice about trying to arrange a pick up away from the ground!

Edited: 14 March 2011, 22:19
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

Others can tell me if this is daft, but what about a taxi from the Airport to Neilston Railway station and go from there to Mount Florida statiion as you will then be going against the way the majority of the crowd is travelling.

Trains out to Neilston are every half hour on a Sunday.

You'd want to probably arrange this with a Barrhead Private Hire firm.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 23:57
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

Thanks Smithstone, but there will be a few hours to kill, so I thought it better to go to the city centre for a while!

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

This thread from a Celtic fans' messageboard would appear to be your best source of information.

talkceltic.net/forum/celtic-supporters-info/…

Hail, hail!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampden Park from City centre

If he goes to mount florida, he will be with us, gers support!

If you are a celtic fan, DO NOT GO TO MOUNT FLORIDA STATION. Kings park station is what the celtic fans use.

When you go to central station, you will see the barriers, one line with celtic, one line with Rangers, join your line and just wait ( have your ticket first) and you just need to follow the fans. They all get on the same train, get off at the same station (KP) and go to the same part of the stadium, from there, just find your turnstyle and find your seat :-)

Don't get too excited tho, we're gonna win haha. Hope you and your daughter, both enjoy the game :-)

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow