We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for suggestions

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for suggestions

Dear All,

After reading through some of the insider pages I'm hoping some of the seasoned regulars to the forum can help me find something to do other than getting dragged up and down Argyle and Buchanan street lugging Primark bags behind me.

Here's the thing. I worked for a Glasgow company. You can smell the product on a windy day coming from the Gorbals direction. I never, though, ventured far outside of the Premier Inn. Pretty much a loner. (Few drinks in the Social on a Wednesday listening to the one man band)

I managed to book a cheapo flight into Prestwick so will have 2.5 days in Glasgow with the missus.

I need to know the following:

(1) Trains. Seriously, do you just show the conductor/ticket man your boarding pass on board and get 50% off travel to and from the airport? I always arrived into Glasgow International and just hopped on the bus you see, never been to Prestwick.

(2) I'm staying in the Grand Central Hotel so directions are truly not needed from the train station. LOL

(3) I need 2 evening restaurant suggestions for a middle of the road budget. Chinese suggestion would be good. I ate once in Dhabba on Candleriggs but I think its a bit hot for the missus.

Wagammama will do during the day one of the days and we will figure something else out for lunch. Enough choice during the day.

(4) I'm looking for some class of a Bierhaus. I drank in West but that's too far to walk and wasn't great anyway for the distance you have to go.

Any suggestions for something to do during the day? Something to visit. Not museums or art galleries. Something cool.

BTW, Regular Glasgow visitor websites are not great are they?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for suggestions

Hi, Yes you really do just go across the enclosed bridge to the train at prestwick airport and show your ticket for 50% off the rail ticket. The conductors will often prompt passengers when they clock a suitcase with labels on.

Have a look at 5pm.co.uk for restaurant deals, menus and reviews and list.co.uk for any shows/comedy/theatre that might be on during your stay.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for suggestions

I was thinking of visiting "Ketchup" in the West End.

Should I?

Your opinions?

Hop on Clockwork orange?

What would it be £4.80 return for two adults?

The menu looks ggggggggoooooooooooooooooodddddddddddd

socialanimal.co.uk/downloads/…20sml.pdf

You see. I was watching the food channel and I got the idea into my head I was looking for an American Diner type setup and stumbled across this burger shop.

Any other suggestions? We are visiting Wagamma as well whilst in town. :)

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for suggestions

Re the bierhaus, there is an excellent place in Candleriggs (Merchant City) called the Beer (might be Bier actually) Cafe that does wonderful German ales. You don't fancy shopping or galleries or museums (did you do them already???). You don't say when you're visiting but the new Transport Museum is due to open in May/June time and about half the population of Glasgow is really looking forward to that. There is the Xscape at Braehead on the south side of the river. It's an indoors facility where you can ski, snow-board (on real snow!) ten-pin bowl, eat, drink, and is v handy for shopping mall if the missus is desperate.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for suggestions

Hi

Ho Wong is a good Chinese and central.

What do you like to do during the day? Lots of choice from going on a seaplane trip to the hop on, hop off bus. A matinee at the theatre?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for suggestions

Don't go to ketchup it is truly awful. If you want a good burger AdLib on Union Street is good, otherwise 5pm.co.uk as suggested will give you some cracking deals.

Also www.theskinny.co.uk will tell you what's on if you like music, comedy and theatre, or www.list.co.uk.

Beir Halle on Gordon Street has a massive beer menu, there are plenty of bars round Merchant City that have all kinds of booze!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for suggestions

Thanks all.

Juggernot, I'm still considering my options between AdLib and Ketchup. Adlib although really really near the hotel is not as inspiring a website/menu as Ketchup though.

Seaplane sounds cool. I checked it out. Sorry, although I'd love to we couldn't afford. We just found out today that my missus needs a major operation as well so thats a couple of thousands euros wiped out. Anyway, the seaplane costs more than the Ryanair flight to get to Glasgow. LOL

Johnboy. We like shopping, well "she" does. Museums and Galleries. No we haven't done them. We wont do them either. We aren't "in to" galleries and museums.

Although the Transport museum would be good. We are going in 4 weeks so it wont be open. Oh well. I'm sure we will be back in Glasgow at some stage.

HECK, we might even get dolled up and hit up the Corinthian(sp). I went there last time with the big boss's from work and got fleeced at the bar with their highly priced drinks. :(

Edited: 04 April 2011, 18:21
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for suggestions

"I'm still considering my options between AdLib and Ketchup. Adlib although really really near the hotel is not as inspiring a website/menu as Ketchup though."

The menu may be inspiring however the food is not.

Ad-lib wins by a country mile

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for suggestions

The students in the family are a bit mixed on Ketchup. When it first opened they were a more keen, but nowadays they are very unimpressed with the food and won't set foot in it. Could be one of those things where a place is good sometimes and not so good other times. It can get extremely busy and difficult to get a table. They tell me the Radio bar upstairs is run by the same people and the food is from the same kitchen as Ketchup but cheaper. If you really fancy Ketchup though, give it a try. Whats the worst that can happen?

For informal eats on the Byres Road (homemade burgers, pizza, pasta) we often end up at Tony Macaroni. It's better than the name makes it sound. Every visit has been a good one for us and they do some great lunch and early meal deals.

http://www.tonymacaroni.co.uk/byres-road.html

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for suggestions

The bierhalle on Gordon Street is great and less than 2 minutes walk from your hotel. They also do really good food.

http://www.republicbierhalle.com/

There's also a really nice weee pub on Great western Road called the Bele which does all manner of foreign beers for great prices and has the feel of a German pub. It's also only about 10 minutes walk from Ketchup! (which i also think is really good).

You didn't say whether it's a weekend you're going or not, but maybe you could get a ticket for a football match or the glasgow speedway. City chambers also does free guided tours.

Alternatively, act like a local and spend half the day in the boozer lol!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for suggestions

Maybe I'll just head down to the Empire bar on Saltmarket. I used to walk sometimes from the Gorbals into George Street(Premier Inn - bored and too cheap to pay for Hampdens). It looks like the place to be.

LOL

I'll check out 5pm.co.uk closer to the time.

We are heading over on the 22nd April for 2 nights.