We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern General Hospital

Stirling
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southern General Hospital

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the easiest way to get from Queen St station to the Southern General by public transport. Will be travelling on a weekday in the early afternoon.

Thanks in advance

Moira.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern General Hospital

Two suggestions-

1)Subway from Buchanan St(adjacent to Queen St)to Govan.

Turn right out of the station at Govan and get buses 21 or 23 for a 5 minute ride to the hospital.

2)Green,Arriva bus 23 from Renfield St or Union St to the SGH.

This is a frequent service and destination on front is Erskine.

Stirling
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern General Hospital

Thanks Kenko92,

That has saved me a lot of dithering about. Although I am Glaswegian,I have not lived there for many years, appreciate the swift reply.

Cheers

Moira.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern General Hospital

Hi Moira, found a better way for you to go- get the train to partick - walk outside to the bus stance and get the number 89 ( first bus) to the hospital, it,ll drop you off in the grounds of the hospital. then you get the number 90 back to partick. Looked up this way for my mum- she said it saved loads of messing about. heres a link to the timetable. http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/journey_planning/timetables/index.php?depart_from=Southern+General+Hospital&operator=10&page=1&redirect=no

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern General Hospital

Hi Moira, found a better way for you to go- get the train to partick - walk outside to the bus stance and get the number 89 ( first bus) to the hospital, it,ll drop you off in the grounds of the hospital. then you get the number 90 back to partick. Looked up this way for my mum- she said it saved loads of messing about. heres a link to the timetable. http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/journey_planning/timetables/index.php?depart_from=Southern+General+Hospital&operator=10&page=1&redirect=no

Edited: 09 April 2011, 10:28
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern General Hospital

Hi there i have to attend the Institute of Neurological Science at the Southern General Hospital. I have noted that several buses go. As the department i want is near the back i have read it is easier to get an Arriva 26 from Union street which drops of at Langsland Road and then take an underpass. There doesnt seem to be any information on how long the walk from the underpass is and i have seen aa map and Langsland road looks quite far away. Can anyone help me with this or am i better getting a bus that stops outside the hospital or is there a bus that goes into the grounds. I need to be there for 9.10 on a monday morning.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern General Hospital

Where are you starting from?

The 26 doesn't actually go into Langlands Rd and may not be a good idea if you don't know the area.

From the city centre you will be best to just to keep to the original suggestions.

Arriva 23 direct or subway via Govan.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern General Hospital

The information i got from the hospital said the Arriva number 26 went the langlands road entrance.and the arriva timetable says it goes to the hospital. Where exactly does the arriva 23 stop for the hospital? I would like to get the bus at union street in glasgow.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern General Hospital

The Arriva 23 from Union St goes past the hospital main entrance and it's less than 5 mins walk to Neurology.

The 26 goes along Shieldhall Rd and you would get off at the stop just pass the big flyover.Cross the road and and walk down with the flyover on your right.This brings you to a back entrance to the hospital,a short distance from Neurology.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southern General Hospital

If you look on google maps and zoom in enough they mark bus stops. Click on the icon and it should bring up the bus service. Not always 100% accurate but will give you an idea.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southern General Hospital

Thanks for the reply. Is the Neurology department the same as the Institute of Neurological Science. The building i need is at the back of the hospital. I had seen that some buses stopped at the main entrance but from the map it looked like a long walk. Is the main entrance on Govan Road? If it is only five minutes then either bus would do me.