We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride on the River Clyde

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Boat ride on the River Clyde

I will be bringing my mother's remains home to Glasgow this summer. Her wishes were to have her ashes scattered on the River Clyde. I am looking for a way to honor her wishes. I have looked on -line for a boat company I could hire to help with this. I have found the Waverley Steamboat and the Seaforce bost rides. However, I will have several elderly people with me and the Seaforce Boats seem like they might be to fast for them. The Waverley makes for a long day with travel back to Glasgow by train once you've gotten off the Waverly. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a private small boat company that can help me out with this??? We will have at least 9 people going on the boat with us. We will be in Scotland the middle if July 2011. Thank you in advance for your help. Katrina in the USA

Wolverhampton...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

If your mother came from Glasgow itself then one of the city bridges would be OK. The Clyde is much cleaner these days. Personally, I would prefer to be taken further down the Clyde from one of the ferries from Gourock or Wemyss Bay. These cross frequently to Dunoon or to Rothesay and a trip on one of these ferries would certainly give you a greater sense of occasion.

Your mother is almost certain to have known this part of the Clyde and it is superbly scenic. If she was my sort of age then she will have gone 'down the watter' ! Get the train from Glasgow Central to either place, the walk to the ferry is not far from the train.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

Everyone is talking of Ferries and Bridges but can I throw something more tranquil and scenic into the mix.

New Lanark World Heritage site (Unesco Site)

Take the train down to Lanark, less than an hour and around £6 off peak return, and visit this attraction which is a unique Mill and village, the Clyde runs right alongside it in lovely scenery and quiter than the City Centre or a Ferry for a more personal send off, if you are up for it you could even take a stroll along the river bank to the Falls of Clyde, the river at this point is only about 20yds wide and fast flowing.

www.scotrail.co.uk for timetable.

Google New Lanark for details of the site.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

Im sure this post is too late for your needs, however if you had contacted either Keith or Carrie at Offshore Workboats Ltd in Glasgow they would have gone out of their way to offer you every assistance in your quest.

Extremely helpful people in a very professional Company.

0141 941 3366

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

Hi,

The Waverley does not have to be a long day - you can join and leave the boat at different places, many of which are not long journeys by train from Glasgow. I would suggest a look at the schedules and see what could work.

For example, get on at Helensburgh or Gourock and get off at Largs or Ayr - if such a schedule is possible. If you get off at Largs have afternoon tea at Nardinis before going back to Glasgow and make a calm but enjoyable day of your trip.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

This is an old and outdated thread.

Seems a little odd to restart it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

calmac.co.uk/journey-information/service-sta…

Agree. And today is not the day to be on the Clyde....

Son of Bawbags returns......

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

Not a day to be out and about at all it would seem.

Something that those planning trips to the UK at this time of year would do well to take notice of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16390088

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

Silly me - did not notice OP date! Not me that resurrected today.

19. Re: Boat ride on the River Clyde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:29