We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New M74 Extension

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
New M74 Extension

It only opened last night but I have seen criticism in today's press that there is a lack of adequate signage in both directions. Anyone used it yet and I'd be particularly interested in any comments on the quality of signs for the extension as you head east on the M8 just after Cardonald? Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New M74 Extension

I'm a bit nonplussed when driving in that vicinity at the best of times. I can find my way from Jordanhill on the expressway to the M77/M8 bit heading south but i'll be darned if I can figure out that route in the reverse direction. It will be interesting to see how much benefit we'll get from the new extension, albeit at a big cost to those living alongside it. Hope it eases the congestion greatly.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New M74 Extension

hurry up google maps, you have not done m80 extention and that opened in may 2011, what chance have we got m74 extention?

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New M74 Extension

I was expecting Madscotsman to have some useful info on this, bearing in mind his line of business!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New M74 Extension

Just did the short stretch from Polmadie to the M8 yesterday and signage seems fine.

I have seen comments that traffic has shifted from the M8 and the Kingston Bridge has been flowing smoothly.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New M74 Extension

Not been on it yet, but I did notice it came up on our dispatch screen that within 1 hour of opening the other night there had been an RTA and it was backed up to Motherwell!

I have noticed that traffic is lighter on the M8 in the morning when I run Mrs Mad to work between Townhead and Jct 21 just before the bridge, with a noticable lack of trucks.

My view has always been the same as Purples in that they are trying to merge 3 motorways at Kinning Park in the space of around a mile, and all that means is you have shifted the the problems on the bridge a little further west.

It's interesting that they opened it 9 months early which is fine for those going straight through, but the diversions around all the new slip roads and remodeling on the ground below are still there which makes life difficult.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New M74 Extension

I expect the signage will have been sorted now. Drove it the night it opened and was very impressed. It's a fantastic piece of infrastructure, aside from the obvious benefits it will bring to locals, tourists coming from the south heading for Loch Lomond and North West Highlands can now bypass the M8 through central Glagow and the notorious bottleneck which is the Kingston Bridge. Excellent.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New M74 Extension

I drove from Edinburgh to Glasgow this morning and didn't notice it. I just went all the way over the Kingston Bridge as usual.

Unobservant -moi?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New M74 Extension

If coming from Edinburgh you would exit M8 at Bailleston then onto M73 south bound then get into right hand lane for M74 North.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New M74 Extension

I drove it last night from the south onto the M77 and thought the signage was fine. At the end it drops a lane at Kinning park and then diverages between M8 and M77 traffic.

A bit hard to judge the effect it'll have on Kingston Bridge traffic at peak commuting times as it's opened during the school holidays which greatly reduce the volume.

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New M74 Extension

Interestingly coming from Edinburgh the signs now say if you are going for Glasgow south west - ie airport etc to head from Ballieston down to M74 as stated earlier. bypassing middle of Glasgow

Assuming people do that should help area round Charing X greatly