We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets

Kokrajhar
4 posts
Save Topic
Train tickets

I will be in Glasgow for three days in the third week of August 2011, coming from Edinburgh. I haven't booked train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow and for my onward journey from Glasgow to London (which I want to do by train). I have to travel from Charing Cross (Glasgow) to London (Kings' Cross). Is it possible to get tickets while I am in Edinburgh and Glasgow? Every advice seems to stress on advance booking! How is the road travel option?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,541 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets

You can book train tickets online at any time as long as the timetable for that day has been loaded - though cheaper fares are only available a maximum of 12 weeks in advance. See eastcoast.co.uk or any of the other train websites linked to from nationalrail.co.uk

Booking on-line you can collect the tickets from any station that offers fasticket collection.

You can also buy tickets at any manned station in the UK at any time subject to the same rules.

2. Re: Train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2013, 16:59
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets

Edinburgh to Glasgow - no advantage to buying tickets in advance

Glasgow to London - "Advance" tickets may be considerably cheaper but are valid on the booked train only, no flexibility. The cheapest tickets sell out quickly.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets

Glasgow to London is around £115 one way or £116 return if you buy on the day of travel. Note the mere £1 difference with this type of ticket.

Booked in advance, it starts at about £18 one way, £36 return. Book early (max 9-12 weeks) to get the cheapest prices.

A few days before departure, I'd expect to see 'advance' prices in the £40-£60 range one way.

But Edinburgh-Glasgow can safely be bought on the day, as others have said.

Www.Virgintrains.com or any other train company site, they all sell all fares for all operators.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,430 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets

Also note that Charing Cross Glasgow is a commutor station on the Queen Street low level line, you will not catch the train to London from there, so no need to find it when looking up on the websites.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,541 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets

For Edinburgh to Glasgow it's a lot cheaper to take the coach and book in advance through megabus.com

Kokrajhar
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets

Thanks a lot Alanrow! The information you provided is of great help.

Kokrajhar
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets

I think trains from Glasgow to London commences mostly at Glasgow Central Station. Can someone tell me how far Glasgow Central is from Charing Cross station.

Kokrajhar
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets

Thank you ferdinand_fro, madscotsman11, Man_in_Seat_6 and Bobelinks... for your kind and helpful posts!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets

««Can someone tell me how far Glasgow Central is from Charing Cross station.»»

Walking, it is about 1.2 km, say 15 minutes.

By train, it is 2 minutes to Glasgow Queen Street, and a 500 metre walk from there, say 6 minutes.