We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

The recent thread about Edinburgh being a bit shabby down the Royal Mile got me to thinking (I know it does not happen that often ;-)).

What if Glasgow had a big medievil castle perched on a hill, maybe at the top of Byres road or at Sighthill cemetary, which city do you think would attract the most visitors or be thought of as the tourist capital of Scotland?

Without the castle would anyone visit Stirling? I think that Glasgow council are mising a trick here. Where the tower blocks are at sighthill they should build a great big castle. Would do wonders for Glasgow's tourist industry!!

Discuss!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Teehee. And the sun isn't even over the yard-arm yet Ronaldo.

Still, food for thought;-)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,007 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

If Glasgow had a castle at the top of the hill it would have been modernised into a Burberry outlet with a basement tapas-and-Buckfast bar.

With a 1970s motorway junction through the middle.

I met a group in Stirling last week who decided not to visit the castle because it was up a hill. I pointed out to them that most things in Scotland were up hills.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

I think this is a great idea. What about putting one up on Cathkin Braes?

... but then again Dumbarton has a great wee castle and very few people come to visit this one?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Crookston castle is perched on a hill as most castles were, the buckfast connection would of course be there with nearby pollok and it's environs !!

Glasgow missed a trick a long time ago when they built the tower next to the science centre, instead of getting technical with the whole tower revolving, (it's forever breaking down) they should have built it twice as high with a decent size viewing deck and restuarant on top with magnificent views across the city and beyond.

Ps, Burberry is so last year!!!

Edited: 26 July 2011, 15:00
Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Maybe a bouncy castle is whats required!

I've always considered Glasgow architecture to be better than Edinburghs - its just spread out over such a large area that much of the finer points are unknown/visited!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Tee hee indeed! Ooh what a good idea, RonaldoC.

Can we have a good sized hill ( maybe a wee bit over 3000 ft)? Then Munro baggers could enjoy it too...

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Surely a big Dracula style castle at the top of the Necropolis would be the most fitting one.

Steal edinburgh's "ghost tours" ect too.

Liking the bouncy castle idea though.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

First of all, Scotland are known for more than only castles. I mean, Inverness and Loch Ness attract several visitors, and they clearly don't have any castle in mind. Although there is Urquhart Castle, but most visitors want tos see the lake (and hopefully Nessie).

Second, the visitors who visit Scotland to see the lovely scenery and nature or the whisky distilleries, they would probably stay away from most cities (like Glasgow and Edinburgh, although they may use any of the airports or train stations to get to Scotland first).

Third, Edinburgh and Glasgow are already different and have different reputations. A castle in both cities wouldn't change that. the cities would still be different from each other if we would compare transportation, culture, shopping, nightlife, sights (things to see and do), architecture and so on. A castle wouldn't change things so much, as most people want to see more than a castle in a city or town. With some exceptions obviously (like Stirling).

Edited: 29 July 2011, 14:46
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

Pehaps you could start organising tours to Château Lait ?

10. Re: If Glasgow had a castle perched on a hill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:17