We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
435 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Hey! I'm looking for a hotel for a night out in Glasgow. We'll be heading to the gay scene and are deciding between the etap or two premier inns, one on ballaster street and one on a street beginning with E (sorry I'm doing this from my phone so don't have access to all the info).

So, which one is better situated? Or is there a better place for £40-50 a night per room. Any other advice?

Thanks!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Hi, etap is to far away and will require taxis, ballater st is over the river and would be a good 10-15 minute walk from the merchant city where the gay scene is mainly located.

If you could get the premier inn on George st that would be a 5 minute walk.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
435 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Unfortunately the George street one is out of our budget. In terms of looking at distances, is there a pub in the centre of the scene which I can use ad a reference? I've heard of the polo lounge, is that in the middle of it all?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Yes, polo lounge is on Wilson st, literally round the corner is delmonicas and 400 yds up glassford st is bennetts.

When comparing hotels think what you will be in taxis and time, so an extra tenner per night on a hotel would be swallowed up in taxis if going for a non central hotel.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Yes, polo lounge is on Wilson st, literally round the corner is delmonicas and 400 yds up glassford st is bennetts.

When comparing hotels think what you will be in taxis and time, so an extra tenner per night on a hotel would be swallowed up in taxis if going for a non central hotel.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Check out the Brunswick Hotel. It's right in the heart of Merchant City and a standard double appears to start at £65 (unless you are looking at a Saturday night). The rooms in the hotel are small but the bar in the hotel is very gay friendly and their are tons of bars all around it.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
435 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses, the Brunswick sounded great, especially at £50 a room but they only had one room available and I need two as there'll be four of us :-(

We'd be happy with a 10-15 minute walk to keep the costs down, is there any dodgy areas which aren't safe to be walking through between the premier inn on Ballaster street and merchant city?

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

When you leave the Premier Inn in Ballater Street you have a straight, half mile walk via Crown Street, over the Albert bridge then up past the Tolbooth to the Merchant city. It's about half a mile (ten minutes) and you are unlikely to have any problems in this part of the town.

Edited: 29 July 2011, 11:14
Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel suggestion and any other advice.

Another option.. try the Ibis on West Regent Street. Maybe a 15 minute walk from Merchant City but surrounded by decent bars on Bath Street and West Regent Street. I have to say i'm not a huge fan of the area surrounding the Premier Inn on Ballater Street but that's just personal choice. There is nowhere within walking distance on that side of the river that i'd recommend by way of pubs, bars or restaurants.