We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Hello all, My husband and I are planning on visiting Scotland from September 28-October 8. What is the weather like this time of year, and have the autumn colours shown themselves yet? We are taking public transportation everywhere and would love any advice and recommendations on things to do. We were planning on spending our time in London and the surrounding areas, but with all the riots going on we are considering alternate plans. Thanks so much for any advice.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

London's loss is our gain!

Most popular tourist facilities are open until the end of October and some all year round so you should have no problem there.

The time of your visit will coincide with the start of the fall in Scotland. The leaves will be starting to turn but it is better towards the end of October. (It will still be beautiful.)

Feel free to ask more specific questions.

glasgow
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

I would look at a few days in Edinburgh, a few in Glasgow then a few day trips to loch lomond, alloa, etc while staying in Glasgow..... maybe a night at the lake district or Gretna which are both easily accessible by coach...

Public transport is great in Glasgow and Edinburgh,loads of buses and trains etc... the weather's a bit iffy all of the time, but it should still be quite mild.

If you let us know your likes/ dislikes we can give more detailed suggestions...

Do you like golf, shopping, historic sites, the beach, (albeit a cold walk along the shore) ...........

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Alloa?? That's a first.

Leah - these sites will help you -

www.visitscotland.com

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Alloa??

The weather could be anything. Generally cool, between low 40's and mid 50's fahrenheit, excellent chance of rain, strong winds and possibly the sun will poke it's head out from time to time. It probably won't snow.

Public transport is a bit hit and miss outside of the main cities, but a train ride along the West Highland Line is well worth doing. www.scotrail.co.uk will give you prices and train times.

Don't expect the autumn leaves to be as spectacular as they are in New England. They are nice though.

And don't worry about changing your plans becasue of riots. They are pretty much over now and never affected the touristy areas anyway. By the end of September, they will be a dim and distant memory

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Again... Alloa??

I would avoid Gretna too. Use the train to visit Pitlochry, Aviemore or Inverness. The West Highland line to Mallaig is spectacular. I'd choose either Glasgow or Edinburgh - not both. You can do a day trip by train from one to the other in 45 minutes

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Leah: notice on the Yorkshire forum that you are planning to visit Whitby from London. Was this prior to your re-think of visiting Scotland or do you wish to visit Whitby on your way to Scotland?

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Again Alloa?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,989 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Alloa?? Come on Audrey, did you really mean to suggest Alloa?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Much as there seems to be surprise at Alloa as a suggestion, while the town itself isn't much of a destination, it does have a regular direct train service from Glasgow, and is Ideally placed for visiting the Hillfoots towns/villages, which can be interesting, and the Ochils are also scenic, if not as majestic as some more northern hills. It all depends on the interests of the individual.

And no, I don't come from Alloa, but I'm not going to sneer at it just because it's not one of the usual tourist traps - Aviemore indeed!

England
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Scotland End of September/Early October

Where do you start? I suggest Glasgow (sorry Edinburghers). Glasgow has it all and with Buchanan St Bus Station and Glasgow Central railyway station you can be anywhere in Scotland even Edinburgh.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow