We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Glasgow

We are traveling by air from Toronto to Heathrow and then on directly to Glasgow using BritRail passes. We would appreciate suggestions on how best to travel economically from Heathrow to Euston station (or alternative rail departure points to Glasgow, if any) with a minimum of stair climbs. There seem to be many alternatives but we haven't found enough information to evaluate them. Suggestions would b appreciated. Also, how much time should we expect to spend in customs and immigration? to get from customs and immigration to the recommended train, tube or bus? to get from Heathrow to Euston or alternate?

11. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2011, 18:05
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,091 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

Trains from Euston to Glasgow take a minimum of 4h30m. There's a maximum of 1 train per hour. From landing at Heathrow to reaching Glasgow Central will take a MINIMUM of 6h30m.

If you are already at Heathrow then the only sensible option is to fly. You might even get your luggage checked all the way from home to Glasgow even on separate tickets saving you one load of hassle.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

The one fly in the ointment re flying from Heathrow to Glasgow with BA is the shambles that is still T5. Even flying business class from USA, with supposedly "fast-track" connections, it took me the best part of an hour to clear immigration and security to get from international arrivals to domestic departures last October.

I know from several colleagues who now have to fly to Glasgow with BA now that BMI has stopped flying to Glasgow that transferring from International arrivals in T1 to T5 domestic is a headache as well - many of them choose to fly to Edinburgh then travel to the west coast areas by land transport, or just take trains from Heathrow just as the OP originally intended.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

"Even flying business class from USA, with supposedly "fast-track" connections, it took me the best part of an hour to clear immigration and security to get from international arrivals to domestic departures last October."

Expecting to make a connection involving an international flight in any airport at any time in less than an hour is pushing your luck. I travelled through T5 in July this year both outbound to the US and on the way back and was pleasantly surprised with how straightforward and seamless the whole experience was. I wasn't travelling Business Class and had allowed a minimum of 1 and a half hours to make the connection in both directions and had no problems at all.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

Terminal 5 isn't the problem. I use it frequently and it is about as smooth a passage as you could wish for. Getting from T5 to T1 however, is another story and they have my sympathies

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

Sorry, I regularly make the connection through T1, no fast track, and it takes about about 10 minutes gate to gate when flying abroad, and usually much less than an hour returning home, assuming the Border Agency has somebody at the transfer desk and security has more than one scanner working.

My current ticket, with airline recommended connection, allows 1 hr 15 mins between scheduled landing time and departure of my internal flight, which will still allow me time for a coffee in the lounge, and the connection time for my return abroad is the same, which again allows a browse of the shops and a visit to the lounge.

As to T5, I have only used it a few times, but it has never been anything like a smooth passage on any occasion.

17. Re: Heathrow to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:18