We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for women after dark? / Also, SECC to Glasgow Central?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Safe for women after dark? / Also, SECC to Glasgow Central?

Hi,

I'll be in Glasgow for a few nights later this year. I'm a lone woman traveller (Asian, if racism is a bit of an issue there), and would be living near St. Enoch subway.

I'd like to know if there are any areas in the city I should avoid after dark? I wouldn't be clubbing, but maybe a dinner, or a drink, or a theatre performance, or just a stroll (any suggestions for this?) to take in the city.

I'll also be attending a concert at SECC on a Saturday night, but am not sure how late it would end. I understand that the last train from Exhibition Centre to Glasgow Central is at approximately 11.30pm, but would it be safe to walk alone along the river back to my hostel? As in along Lancefield Quay, Broomielaw up to Clyde Street.

I am in possession of common sense, but inadequately equipped with fear as a lone woman traveller. Everything seems possible right now.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Safe for women after dark? / Also, SECC to Glasgow Central?

Hi again, the halls are heated - sometimes too much if there is a lot of dancing at the music event. But I have also been there when it has been less than comfortably warm, so you are right to think in terms of layers.

There are cloakrooms; it normally costs £1 per item, from memory - so if you can stuff your scarf into the sleeve of your coat that counts as one item. A bag would be a second item. Some people stuff jackets, scarves etc into a single large bag to make it a single item. Sometimes you have to queue for that too - both at the start and the end of the evening. Inevitably.

If your concert is seated you have the option of stuffing your coat under your chair. If I can, this is what I do to save time at the end of the evening. Then if it is cold I have the option of putting on my jacket to warm up a bit.

You should enjoy the EuroHostel - it is a good establishment, from what I have witnessed. If the concert is a big, popular one you may even meet other people that are staying there who are also going to the SECC. So you could find that you have people to chum along the road, there and back.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Safe for women after dark? / Also, SECC to Glasgow Central?

Thanks guys, I'll improvise from here. I have a standing ticket, which is why I'd need the cloakroom.

Thanks once more!

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Safe for women after dark? / Also, SECC to Glasgow Central?

I'm sure the concert will be packed and there will be a lot of people making their way back into town. I'd head for the train, quick and easy to get to Central and close to the Euro hostel. The trains run regularly so generally hassle free.

On the clothing front I'd go for many light layers and tie them round your waist or take a small drawstring bag (if it doesn't get in the way of the moshing!) that's what I'd do. There's often a queue for the cloakroom at the end.

Hope you enjoy your time in Glasgow!

24. Re: Safe for women after dark? / Also, SECC to Glasgow Central?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2012, 06:18