We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
1,198 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Just returned from my first visit ton Glasga with wife and daughter.I cannot praise the city but more so the locals enough.What a friendly city and also a great city break. Train from Wigan takes 2.5 hours straight to Central station,like the victorian style of the station which reminds me of London victoria for some reason,We stayed at Hotel Indigo in Waterloo street about 500yards from the station. Fantastic hotel (will review later) and worthy of its rating on TA. We arrived at 11.30am checked in and then set off to explore, first port of call was Willow tea rooms on Buchanan street,very nice place and enjoyed Cullen Skunk.After lunch the girls went shopping I hoped to do The City chambers tour but due to protestors in George square tours had been cancelled.Shame as this was my only real chance to go on this tour.Square and chambers are very impressive though, I do like imposing buildings. Anyway went for walk around Merchant city and went instead to Museum of modern art,not really my cup of tea but loved the building especially the ornate ceiling, I do like the statue of outside with the traffic cone on its head, thought this was funny when guide in museum said he had never seen statue without its hat. Met up with girls and went to The Corinthian club for coffee and more... food . What a fabulous place inside, impressed yet again with the ceilings and wall freezes a really beautiful place instead and the food/drink top notch as well.Spent rest of afternoon shopping loved Frasers department store (sales on) and ended up in Sauchiehall street.Girls went back to hotel and to The Hop Pole to try a whisky.You are spoiled for choice what a great pub, loved the decor and sat at the bar looking at whiskies I had never heard of.The lad who served me was great telling about the different brands and which was the oldest and most expensive.Unable to remember name was stunned about this bottle in a glass case costing £1300 a dram.Spent a good hour here before heading back to hotel and dinner . Had dinner at hotel food excellent. Got up early about 6.30 and went for walk along the Clyde towards Glasgow green,thought the bridges looked good lit up in different colours, headed back for breakfast and then our walk yo Kelvingrove museum. Walk took about 40minutes heading up Blytheswood and then down Sauchiehall.Weather was crisp nice for wallking the area on way reminded my daughter of Sloan st in London , big imposing terraces.Kelvingrove is a good visit with diverse areas, you can takes photos as well,didnt stay for the organ recital but the hall was full when we left,just for a change I loved the ceiling in the main hall and was fascinated by the number of art students drawing on the balcony.We then walked up Byers road and on to Ashtons lane.Liked the atmosphere of the West end and lost count of the number of eating places, so could become very fat down here and not even have a deep fried mars bar.Ashtons lane is a lovely area can imagine in summer spending most of the day here watching the world go by. We went to Ubiquitous Chip for lunch.Loved it ,sat upstairs in the conservatory,really lovely decor and the food was great .All of us at Haggis neeps and tatties but we had side portion of Stovies. I could live on Stovies. Next stop Hillhead underground station and metro back to town and more retail therapy for the girls. I continued on to Ibrox. Just to late for last tour but walked around the ground. Being an Everton fan I was amazed by all the space around the ground, Goodison is land locked by house, anyway long live David Weir. Was surprised by lack of pubs near ground or maybe it was the route I took. Back on metro to the toon and went for a drink in Sloans, had a look upstairs in the grand ballroom ,band setting up for friday night dance. The place was heaving,good atmosphere but dear beer prices. Back to hotel for evening and meal.

Up early on saturday morning and went for walk to Glasgow green,saw the terracotta fountain and the winter gardens, didnt go in as it was about 8am and place only opened at 10am. While here walked across London road to The Barras. Not a lot you can say other than its very rundown, tacky and as an uneasy feel about it. Did have a cup of coffee in one of the cafes and discussed football (Celtic) with the lad who owned the cafe. Would have liked to have gone in Bar 67 and Bairns to see all the Celtic pictures but not yet open and headed back to hotel for breakfast. We was leaving later today (4.40pm) so the girls needed some more shopping , I went to Celtic shop near station and bought DVD of 1967 european cup. Shopped out by this so went for a drink at Horseshoe bar, Rangers match on Tv and place was rammd so went to Roganos instead. Met the girls in bar near here and then went to station for taxi to Mother Indias on westminster terrace. This is the best indian restaurant /meal we have ever had. 3 course for £13, the food and people are great. Massive portions but more importantly first class food, curried haddock, butter chicken and then a sweet similar to syrup sponge with ice cream was to die for.

Impressions, will visit again and soon if possible, City great lots to see and do, food superb in hotel and restaurants we visited. Pubs with great atmosphere, weather not bad but the people make the city.So friendly helpful and welcoming. As our waitress in hotel said the city was voted most smiliest city in euope,she also said it was the murder capital. Topped this off with her humour saying we stab you whilst smiling then ring you an ambulance. Dont you just love GlASGOW.

Thanks for a great 3 days

aberdeen
Level Contributor
422 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Really enjoyed reading your trip report. I have also recently been on a trip to Glasgow and it's interesting reading what you did. A couple of things the same but shows me there is plenty more to see on my next trip. One place that I would like to wander round and soak up the atmosphere is Byres Road area. I only passed this on the hop on off bus and did not have time to stop. The Umbiquitos Chip was somewhere I would like to go.

I totally agree on the museum of modern art - I preferred the building rather than it's contents! Well worth a look in anyway to make your own mind up!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Glad you enjoyed the toon Ian. :o)

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

Great trip report and thanks for the kind words about our great city. At one time the Gallery of Modern Art was really impressive inside with things like REAL paintings! I was recently in it too and i couldn't decide if it was being renovated and had forgot to lock the doors or if what i was seeing was actually art!

Btw, you're right about the lack of pubs around about Ibrox, there are very few. For a better choice you need to walk to the ground from the town through the Tradeston district. There are plent there, maybe starting about half a mile from the stadium.

I take it that the pub you meany for the whisky overload was the Pot Still? a really fine establishment!

www.thepotstill.co.uk

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
1,198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Hi Clover, I did mean the Pot Still, just shows how a good whisky makes you forget everything. Think I became mixed up slightly its on Hope street. Even with the wrong name its a great bar.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

Next time you need to try the Bon Accord. It's a wonderful pub.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Ian - wow! I thought I covered a fair amount of ground when I explore a city but your report made me feel tired - I've done all the things you mentioned but over about 5 visits! Totally agree with you about this beautiful city - I love it and can't wait to go again. Off to Edinburgh for the first time the week after next, so will be able to compare the two!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

Brilliant trip report Ian. Thoroughly entertaining and informative read. You really must come again!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report

Cheers Ian, GoMA is hit and miss, depends what the current installation is. Glad to see Mother India getting high praise, it is also the best Indian I have had.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the trip report - a very "inviting" read!

Abs :)

10. Re: Trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 05:16