We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow with a 2 1/2 yo. What to do?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
11 posts
Save Topic
Glasgow with a 2 1/2 yo. What to do?

I am going to be in Glasgow at the end of August for my Gran's 80th and I will be bringing my son who will be 2 1/2 years old by then to meet her. (it is all she wants, and pretty much the only thing keeping her going.)

I have no family that can help me care for my son while I am there (too old or too mentally unstable!) so I need to really find things to do that can entertain us both.

We will be staying in Toryglen for 5-6 nights. How easy is public transport to use with a stroller? Do taxis there have carseats as standard or do you have to book? Help!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow with a 2 1/2 yo. What to do?

Hi, I'm not familiar with Toryglen and am not a regular bus user either, but those buses I have used in recent years have tended to 'dip' to allow passengers to board easily, and also have a spot for sitting/folding a stroller or wheelchair. There are plenty of nice parks all over glasgow, so perhaps if the weather if good you could take advantage of those that have children's playparks. sorry I couldnt help more.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 19:37
Glasgow, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow with a 2 1/2 yo. What to do?

I have a 3 year old and live up the road from Tory glen in Shawlands.

Buses are easy enough to get on and off with a buggy. The only problem is when it is busy they dont have to let you on and if there is already buggy on the bus again they dont have to let you on even though there is normally enough space for two. This can result in you having to let three or four buses go past you unless you are willing to hold your little one and fold the buggy to put in the luggage compartment which can be a nightmare if you have other bags and stuff with you.

Private taxis do not provide car seats or booster seats and legally should not take you as they have the same rules as cars but sometimes they will but I myself wouldn't do it.

Hackney taxis are different and have different rules. The driver just has to be happy that the child is secured. My little boy is pretty big so I just sit him in a seat and put on his belt - he doesn't have a buggy anymore. The middle seat has a rest thing that quite often comes down to become a rest booster seat thing. But they are all happy if the child is in a buggy.

You could walk to shawlands if need be which is uphill and there are loads of parks near you.

The train mihgt be good for you there and you have a huge asda. Hope this helps.

There is soft play in Shawlands called Whale of a Time and there is probably a mother a toddlers near you.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow with a 2 1/2 yo. What to do?

I would take him to the science centre. There's lots of hands on stuff there to keep kids (and adults!) amused.

4. Re: Glasgow with a 2 1/2 yo. What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow