We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

I will be spending a Sunday in Glasgow in early March. I would like to get some opinions on the Barras market and whether it is worth a visit. I understand the farmers' market is only on Saturday. What is there at the market on Sunday?

Also - where in Glasgow would I look for vintage china and ceramics? Nothing terribly expensive but I like old kitchenware - TG Green sort of stuff.

Thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

Yes,the Barras is certainly worth a visit on Sat or Sun.

It is a very Glasgow institution,just keep any valuables out of sight!

It isn't as busy as it used to be but there will be old china on sale in some of the antique shops on the edge of the market.

Combine it with a visit to the People's Palace on Glasgow Green which is almost next door.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

Farmers markets are held in different locations in the City. Sadly the Barras is often known for the large amounts of counterfeit goods traded nowadays.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

I'd be reluctant to recommend the Barras these days unless you don't mind dodgy goods and mingling with unsavoury characters.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

There are auction houses, antique centres, and antique fairs. A better bet if you want the goods! Listing here, for example: antiques-atlas.com/listings/west-scotland/…

Google antiques Glasgow, and you'll see a lot of venues. These places will cover all price ranges.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

I think you may be very disappointed if you visit the Barras. There are few gems to be found among the goods.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

I've never been to the Barras as it sounds rather too seedy for my tastes. There are quite a few vintage shops in and around Byres Road (Ruthven Lane/Cresswell Lane and others) in the west end. You may get lucky or you may not. Otherwise a visit to the citys antique stores might turn something up.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

Not in Glasgow but if you're touring, the Scottish Antique and Art centre in Doune is a treasure trove of antiques, collectables, vintage clothing, jewellery, pictures, etc etc. It's got a good coffee shop too, which is just as well as the place is so big it can take hours to see everything.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

#7 Agreed. It's got some Very good stuff. And the cafe's a lot better than a caff. It does really decent lunches.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

Haha, the Barras is not a farmers market, but it is still full of character and well worth a visit if you want something a bit different from your trip. Yes it has couterfeit goods (it always has, in fact it used to have a lot more than it currently does) and it might be though of as a bit downmarket, but you'll see nothing else like it.

There are a couple of antiques shops on Woodlands Road which might be suitable for the kitchenware you are after.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1. barras; and 2.vintage kitchenware

Visited the Barras last year, sorry but found it a bit disapoointing, nowhere near the same number of stalls as in the distant past, seemed to be people on most corners selling either cigarettes or counterfeit DVDs. On the plus side, still a few long term stall holders with some great stories, managed to find an album of Matt Mc Ginn, only cost 99p.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow