We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dingwall, Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere!

Looking for a suitable bar or gastropub type place for dinner for 17 blokes. Brel reviews dont look inspiring. Does Oran Mor have an informal bar area?

Its a Stag, we could be noisy, thats why I dont want a restaurant.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Brel doesnt do food to my knowledge. Not sure about Oran Mor in the bar? Oran Mor does have a Brasserie to the side but not sure its stag night material.

Give Nicks Bistro on Hyndland Road a try or even Velvet Elvis on Dumbarton Road?

Dingwall, Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Thanks (again!), I'll check them out.

London, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

I'd recommend Ketchup for a beer and an amazing burger before going into the bar above the cinema (sorry forgotten the name).

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Try "The Rock" in hyndland Just of Byres road and about a 10 minute walk from Hillhead subway. It is decent enough "pub grub" and should be able to deal with a big stag do.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

I quite like Brel and they do food too, but perhaps its a bit small for such a big group. The Rock that looplou mentioned is a popular pub with locals and a modest stroll away from main Byres Road hub.

Oranmor probably has plenty of room to accomodate a crowd in the bar, and you can get bar food there. Good thing about a pub is not having to vacate the premises once you've finished your meal.

Another place that might (or might not) be worth considering is Curlers Rest pub on Byres Road near Hillhead subway. It reopened a couple of years ago to mixed reviews as a foodie pub. I haven't heard much said about the place recently:

www.list.co.uk/place/29552-curlers-rest/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Curlers just isn't what it used to be though! Before you could have said it was sure bet for a stag party but now am not too sure! Haven't been in since they did it up if I am honest! What about Tennent's on byres road and if my memory is correct they do food too? Does get quite busy and packed though!

Edited: 14 March 2012, 21:33
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

There is also "Hillhead Bookclub" they do food and again it isn't too far from Ashton Lane/byres road.

http://www.hillheadbookclub.com/

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Tennents would probably be a good bet, theres a wee side room with a few tables they could probably put you in. Dont know if you can reserve though.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

I'd second the Hillhead Bookclub - I was there with a similar sized group recently and they were very accommodating. The food is all right and it's quite a laid back place. Ketchup might be good as well for some burgers although it is still a restaurant I guess. Both are on Ashton lane (or just a stagger away!).

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ashton Lane/Byres Rd pubs with dining

Would not recommend Ketchup. Visited for first time yesterday and just didn't feel worth it. Wine was cheaper to buy by the glass but waitress didn't bother telling us when we ordered a bottle. Burgers don't even come with fries.

Don't think the seating would suit your party either.