We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plain Fayre

Stirling
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plain Fayre

Hi,

I will be visiting the Byres Rd area on a Wednesday later this month with a friend from work. I really want her to have a great day so need advice for a lunch venue. She is not very keen on trying different foods and there is no point in me taking her to our favourite curry shops or Chinese restaurants. Need to go somewhere with "Traditional" things which she will enjoy-steak pie--roast chicken -that sort of thing. Don't mind whether it is a pub,hotel or restaurant, thought maybe about £20 a head if that sounds reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Moira.

UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plain Fayre

The Black Sheep Bistro is the first place that comes to mind. Delicious traditional Scottish dishes served in a cosy dining room in the north-west of Glasgow.

It is within walking distance of Byres Road - just! Otherwise get the Underground from Byres Road to St. Georges Cross and walk from there.

Other dining options are The Ubiquitous Chip and the Pelican Cafe. They both have traditional items on their menus as well as more adventurous dishes.

Enjoy!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,869 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plain Fayre

La Vallee Blanche (upper end of Byres Road kinda opposite Waitrose) do a cracking roast chicken and an excellent steak frites. Its a French influenced place that uses fine scottish ingredients. Its also one of my favourite 'traditional' restaurants - not too fancy or fussy, just superb quality food and their lunch is incredibly good value. You can make a booking online too.

http://www.lavalleeblanche.com/

Stirling
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plain Fayre

Thanks for your replies.

The Black Sheep looks like it will fit the bill.

Moira.

4. Re: Plain Fayre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:17