We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
72 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

I'm travelling from Prestwick Airport to Airdrie next Thursday (landing Prestwick at 10am). Have to be in Airdrie by midday-ish.

There doesn't seem to be any direct train/bus connections to Airdrie and it seems that I will have to go through Glasgow by train but I cannot work out the journey.

Can anyone help???

Also, I'm told a taxi is about £30sterling. Is this the best option? I'm on a budget!!

All help gratefully received!!!!!!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes

There is a station at Prestwick Airport and you take a train to Glasgow Central station.On board the train you can buy a through ticket to Airdrie and if you show a copy of your air ticket you get 50% discount.

From Glasgow Central it is a short walk to Glasgow Queen St station where you go to low level(basement) for frequent trains to Airdrie.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

What kenko92 said - you'll basically need to change stations at Glasgow. 10 min walk. I think by time you've got off plane and changed trains etc, you'll struggling to make sunny airdrie for noon

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

I agree - if you manage to get good connections you might be able to do the journey in 2 hours, but it could be pretty tight, especially if there are delays or you just miss one train and have to wait a while for the next. Even by road it's a fair journey of about 45 miles/1 hour so unfortunately I suspect a taxi from Prestwick to Airdrie could cost a fair bit more than £30, but I'm not sure.

Of course people can book whatever flights they choose, but this highlights a more general point that people need to bear in mind the location of Prestwick when booking cheap flights. In this case it might have been better flying to Glasgow as any savings from the cheap flight may be nullified by the extra expense/hassle of ground transport to the final destination.

Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

best bet would be to get a train as the stations right next door to airport

Dublin
Level Contributor
72 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

Thanks for the replies folks, much obliged!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

What i'd like to know is who informed you it would be 30 pounds for ataxi?

It is around 60 to glasgow and around 25 from glasgow to airdrie alone so even taking route direct it would be around the 75 mark

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

There is the Stagecoach X16 (http://bit.ly/JfHPg4) service to Hamilton that departs Prestwick Airport at 1015am (they run hourly) and arrives Hamilton Bus Station at 11.34am.

A taxi from Hamiton would get you to Airdrie around noon, it's a journey of about 10 miles. The First 201 (http://bit.ly/LtoNIq) service runs every 10mins between Hamilton and Airdrie but it takes about an hour.

There are six trains an hour from Glasgow to Airdrie with a journey time of between 19-27mins depending if you get one of the express services.

Which part of Airdrie do you want to go to, the town centre?

Edited: 21 May 2012, 11:03
8. Re: Prestwick Airport to Airdrie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:40
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow