We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Three girls going to Scotland this week.

Are there any parts of the city or streets we should avoid?

And is it safe at night to walk from Ashton lane or Byres road to the Great western road?

It's not that I think that I'm going to Sodoma and Gomora, but it's always good to know, since we are girls.

Thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Yes, like every other city in the world, there are places to avoid in Glasgow. Curiously enough, it's not the "places" at fault, but the people who hang out there!

Having said that, if there is a safer walk in Glasgow than the one from Ashton Lane (Byres Road) to Great Western Road, I have yet to see it.

The area is thronging every night of the week, and as the walk to GWR is only about 300 yards away, I have every faith in you making it unscathed!

Not so sure about Edinburgh. There are a lot of dodgy characters in our second city!

Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Thanks Tony!

cambridge
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Hello

I was a student in Glasgow about 7 years ago and lived in the dodgy east end-this is towards celtic park and still did not have any trouble at all walking home. Having said that i would be careful in this area but in town where you are most likely to be-merchant city, sauchiehall st, west end, you will have no trouble at all

have a great time

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Avoid the footpath along the Clyde at night (a mistake I only made once..)

Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Thanks guys,

I'm much more at piece now. The only part of the town that was worrying me, was the part from Ashton lane to my B&B.

Now that I know that that's ok, everything is alright

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Dodgy characters in our second city!! Tony I think you're being a bit wicked there. Edinburgh is a refined, cultured and well mannered city - perhaps you were thinking of Leith, lol.

Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

25 year old girl from Glasgow here...you will be as safe in Glasgow as any other city. Glaswegians in general are very friendly people but obviously like anywhere you have to watch yourselves and be sensible.

Great nightlife in Aston Lane - Hope you have a great time! Let me know if you need to know anything else about Glasgow.

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the dodgy ends in Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Hi

Being a Glaswegian myself I would just follow the same kind of things that you do at home when your on a night out. Stick together, stay in busy areas and in the city centre. Although I hate to admit it, in glasgow it is usually easy to spot the people that are bound to cause trouble. In general most people will help you out and if your not sure about directions or anything ask someone, they will be only to glad to help. You'll be fine if you stick to the city centre or the west end, loads of students, busy places and loads of really friendly people.

If your in doubt about going anywhere get a taxi or a bus. You may also see people in the city centre with hats and red jackets (they usually are in two's) These people are there to provide info to visitors and give you directions so if you get stuck and need help give them a shout.

Have a pleasant stay in our city and anything else just give us a shout :o)

Jenx

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow