We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

wirral
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

I dont know Scotland at all and would like to stop off en route to Glasgow from Wirral. It must be over the Scotish border and we pass close to Dumfries. Please can somone point us in the right direction. Is there somewhere either quaint or especially picturesque en route? Thanks

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

Do you mean overnight or just a break from driving?

Reason i ask is that the road up is fairly straight forward and mostly motorway and would mean coming off the M74, in fact after you cross the border you are only about 90-100 mins away from glasgow.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

http://www.visitmoffat.co.uk/

Moffat might suit you.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

I was just about to recommend Moffat too but Kenko92 has beaten me too it.

If you wanted to pick a place to stop the other side of the border I'd go for Kendal as the drive and scenery along the A6 would almost make you think you were in Scotland.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

Vote #3 for Moffat. Some decent hotels, nice B&Bs, good shops, and MOFFAT TOFFEE.

Ninabean, are you intending to come straight up the M74 or are you intending to cut through the Dumfriesshire hills and up through Ayrshire?

I ask because Wirral to Glasgow is about a 4 hour journey, half-way being near the border. When driving up from London I always made one of my rest stops either Tebay in the Lakes or Moffat. In your case Moffat would make a good rest stop and lunch venue.

Were you striking west through the hills, I'd think again. If you're making a full day of your journey there are lots more options.

wirral
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

Thanks all but after another look at the map we have decided to stop on our way home from Edinburgh instead. I looked at Moffat but I wonder if there is anywhere else to stop overnight that is even nicer seeing as our route is slightly altered.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

From Edinburgh you can take the A701 - which joins the M74 - at Moffat :-)

It's about 1h30 south of Edinburgh which is no distance at all if you're thinking of an overnighter.

There are many ways of spending more time on the journey south. You could (for example) visit East Lothian - superb coast, lost of small towns Like Gullane, North Berwick, Dunbar, Eyemouth, Berwick. You can travel up the river Tweed through the Border towns - Kelso (Floors Castle), St Boswells, Newstead, Melrose, Galashiels, Innerleithen, Traquair, Peebles. i.e. The Border Abbeys and a shedload of stately homes in the area.

Depending on how much you intend to stop, you could stay in Peebles, or you could press on before stopping for the night.

From the Tweed, there are two ways of getting to Carlisle -

From Peebles, the A72 goes West. Cut onto the B712 and visit Dawyck gardens. This road joins the A701 eventually and you end up once again in Moffat.

Alternatively either by cutting cross country or by backtracking, join the A7 at Hawick and follow that road southwards through Langholm. You'll end up at Carlisle.

Impossible to provide further advice until you pin down your desired options ...

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

Why do you want an overnight stop on the way home? The journey time is short - probably no more than 5 hours. Wouldn't you prefer an extra night in Edinburgh? Is there a specific reason why you want an overnight stop?

wirral
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

The reason I am asking is that we are actually going from Edinburgh up to St Andrews for the last night of our trip and I presumed that the journey home from St Andrews would be too far. We will happy travel 4-5 hrs in one day but we are not keen to go any further. Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

OK - from St Andrews, you should probably get home in a little over 5 hours. Once you cross the Forth Road Bridge, it's motorway all the way - M8 to Bellshill/Coatbridge exit, M74, M6 and home. I'd reinforce what others have said about Moffat as a stop for lunch.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere to stop en route to Glasgow?

Okay, I think your questions has been answered re stop off point, is there anything you want to ask re your visit to Glasgow or Scotland.............to make your visit memorable

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow