We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commonwealth Games 2014

Level Contributor
90 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Commonwealth Games 2014

Planning to visit Glasgow in 2014 when the Commonwealth Games are being held 23rd July to 3rd August, ideally I'd like to stay for the whole period but whether that is affordable is another matter.

I'd be grateful if anyone could give me their opinions on accommodation within Glasgow which allows easy access to the various games sites.

I'd be looking to stay in a hotel, B&B or hostel which has twin en-suite rooms ... and doesn't cost a fortune of course :)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

I'm not sure many places will be publishing their prices for a year or so.

Maybe worth using the time to write to a few places and show an interest, and hopefully, they'll give you priority when they start to take bookings.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

The city centre is compact and will have good transport links to the venues.

One popular suggestion might be the Premier Inn,George St.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

Most events are to be held in the eastend but as kenko says no where is hard or expensive to get to.

At the recent olympic football at hampden firstbus ran free shuttles for ticket holders so i would imagine the same will apply.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

No point in Glasgow publicising details until nearer the time. And the Olympics are getting all the press right now!

Online bookings for hotels will be impossible until *much* nearer the time, but you could email a few central places - look at TA's lists - and I'm sure they'd love to have deposits this far ahead!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

We were in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago for the Olympic women's soccer. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Theatreland, which is right next to the Buchana bus station. If there are free shuttle buses to the games, that's where they will leave from. There is also a Holiday Inn Express right next door to the Holiday Inn. But there's no shortage of hotels of all standards in the city centre, any of which will have easy access to games locations.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

If Glasgow does what recent host cities have done, they will set up a friendship link, and locals will have the opportunity to offer cheap bed and breakfast in their homes to visitors from overesas..... Not sure if you would consider this time of service.

I would sign up to Glasgow 2014 website, they are constantly updating information on the build up to the event.

7. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 15:05
8. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 15:35
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

Contact a reputable letting agent of which there are many, Remember it is only a 10-14 day event so fees might be high for such a short term let.

10. Re: Commonwealth Games 2014

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:05