We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle vs. Express

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle vs. Express

What is the difference between the 500 shuttle bus, from Glasgow Airport to Central Rail Station for £1.85, and the Glasgow Express at £5.00?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle vs. Express

The Glasgow Shuttle (500) costs £5, runs at 10 to 15 minute intervals during the day, uses the M8 motorway to get into the city centre, taking 15 minutes to get to Central station and 25 minutes to Buchanan bus station.

I am not aware of any service called the Express. There used to be something called the Flyer.

The only other service from the airport that I am aware of is the 747, which wanders through the western suburbs, runs at 30 minute intervals and takes an hour to get into the city centre. I presume it costs the standard £1.85 Glasgow transit fare.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle vs. Express

The 747 is useful if you are heading for the West End or Charing Cross areas.

However the fare is higher than 1.85 and exact fare is required.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle vs. Express

Thanks both. Don't know now where I got the idea of the shuttle/express. I just got confused on the First site I guess. 500 Shuttle it is.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle vs. Express

The 500 is also known as the flyer although that 15 mins into the city centre is dependent on time of day as the M8 is scotlands busiest motorway so during rush hours that could easily be 25 mins.

It is £5:50 and for an extra 50p you can upgrade to include further use of the network for onward travel throughout the rest of the city that day.

The 747 is a normal service bus that just happens to start/terminate at the airport and takes almost an hour via the west end and Braehead shopping centre.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle vs. Express

The information on the First Group's web page concerning the Glasgow shuttle fares differs from those provided in the 2nd paragraph of post 4 above. I'm supposing the web page has not been updated to these new fares.

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…fares.php

Instead of £5.50 for the single journey and £6 for the journey plus all day network travel, the web site says £5 for the single journey, £6 for the journey plus one onward journey and £8 for the journey plus all day travel.

6. Re: Shuttle vs. Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 17:15