We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Taxi fare question

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phila, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Another Taxi fare question

Greetings!

I'll be in Scotland next month with my husband, and the first half of the trip we'll be in Erskine staying with family.

What kind of cab fare can we expect from Glasgow (specifically Georges Square) to Erskine? What about tipping?

TIA!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Taxi fare question

Around £25-28 for a black hack, as it is outside the city you will incur a boundary charge which i have included in my estimation.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Taxi fare question

Forgot about the tipping part.

We are not a tipping reliant society so tipping is entirely discretional whilst not unwelcome, the norm being a round up to the nearest pound if you do decide to.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Taxi fare question

The private hire cars that you phone to book, but which don't 'pick-up'on the street are approximately 20% cheaper. You need to choose a company, ideally one that serves Erskine regularly or is based nearby.

Expect to pay around £20, depending on exact locations. And fares go up after midnight usually.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Taxi fare question

Alternatively get a train to bishopton (from Glasgow Central, 10 mins walk from George Square) and a taxi onwards from there.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Taxi fare question

I would not disagree with mary's suggestion only to add that you have to agree a pick up point, say the tourist info office next to Greggs, the downside is you then have to wait until they find you a car? As mary says phone booking only, black hacks can be flagged down, depends if you want home quick or willing to wait possibly a half hour to save around £7-8

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Taxi fare question

Great! We'll take transportation for the most part, but for two trips, we'll have luggage so cabbing it will be easier. Thanks for the input - it's appreciated!

7. Re: Another Taxi fare question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 21:16