We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel

I want to travel from Glasgow to Dover by train and am not sure if a Brit rail pass is the way to go or go on Virgin Trains. The problem with Virgin Trains is the tickets are non refundable. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to go for tickets. I will also be taking the ferry to Calais and then on to Paris so I need to get a pass for France.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel

why not take the train from Glasgow to London

then Eurostar train from London to Paris

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel

< The problem with Virgin Trains is the tickets are non refundable. >

Depends on the tickets you buy. Some are fully refundable - it's just like airlines

But would you really want to spend a whole day travelling - assuming your final destination is on the Continent.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 18:57
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel

Off-peak tickets are not the cheapest, but are refundable, less an adminstration charge - this applies to all Train Operating Companies. nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/offpeak_condi… "Off-peak" are the fares that allow you to use any train on a specific day outside certain peak departure times but I can't immediately see any departures on that route to which the blackout applies. They would very likely be cheaper than the BritRail pass scheme, which is notoriously over-priced.

If you choose to buy an Advance Purchase fare, which is likely to be a lot cheaper, you are tied to a specific train, and these tickets are not refundable.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel

We've already helped Mary C out a bit on the Dover forum with train routes etc, she has already stated on her Dover post that she is happy with the long duration as she want to experience the ferry crossing.

Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel

I love to do the ferry crossing and am in no rush on this trip. thanks for all the comments.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel

Using a Brit Rail Pass to travel around Britain is the smart way to travel. You are not tied to a schedule and have complete flexibility. Besides, you can save a lot of money. Just spent 15 days travelling from one end of the country to the other riding 40 trains. Virgin is great. I rode 1st class and was treated like a king.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel

A BritRail pass can also cost a lot more than buying point to point tickets, especially comparing a full day of BritRail travel to a UK Advance ticket.

An Advance ticket Glasgow - Dover Priory ranges from £24.50 to £61

First Class Advance £65.50 to £119.50

Off-Peak Single £144.80

The Advance tickets are priced in fare steps and each step is quota limited, as the step sells out the price goes up - and the tickets can sell out quickly. It is best to sign up for email alerts on eg eastcoast.co.uk or another Train Operating Company's website.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel

Well if the preferred mode of travel is a train to Dover and then the ferry you may also want to know that only P&O Ferries take foot passengers from Dover and this is only on their daytime departures.

If there is more than one of you travelling then the cost can be more than taking a car as they price their tickets to include up to 9 persons, although not many cars can fit 9 people!!!

I use http://www.ferryonline.co.uk for ferries to France since they compare the prices but you can also go direct as this scenario means you can only travel with PO.

9. Re: Train Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 06:18