We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Hi all,

Don't know if I missed an announcement but have Ryanair cancelled their Beauvais flight?

Looking to fly out in April next year for about a week, but the cheapest deals are coming up from Edinburgh and nothing for Ryanair - looks like there's nothing to Paris after January 2013? I know Beauvais is probably further from Paris than Glasgow is from Edinburgh so overall travel time probably won't be much different!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Ryanair often close down selected flights for the Winter. e.g. Edinburgh-Rome is about to disappear. In that case Ryanair publicised it because they're picking a fight with Edinburgh's operators over airport fees - Ryanair want a discount and the operators have said no. Ryanair imply they've close the route because of Edinburgh's intransigence whereas they would probably have closed the route anyway.

Bottom line: Ryanair are not announcing spring fares? Probably because they're applying pressure to lots of Airport Operators?

Prestwick-Beauvais still appears on Ryanair's routemap; and I can see flights up to the end of March but not for April. I can see London details beyond April. Maybe Ryanair have failed to publish anything for Edinburgh/Glasgow simply to play hardball.

Personally I'd just look for other carriers because they're probably as cheap by the time you add all Ryanair's extras.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,592 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

I would forget Ryanair and just book Easyjet to CDG either from EDI or GLA.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Ryanair drop routes all the time as soon as they become unviable or as suggested a airport raises charges and does not give in to wee micks tantrums or threats.

As ron says by the time you add in the costs and hassle of getting to the obscure airports that ryanair use often approx 30-40 miles from the city you are trying to reach you are often more than not better using another carrier especially if you book months in advance even airfrance might not be thatuch more.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Ryanair drop routes all the time as soon as they become unviable or as suggested a airport raises charges and does not give in to wee micks tantrums or threats.

As ron says by the time you add in the costs and hassle of getting to the obscure airports that ryanair use often approx 30-40 miles from the city you are trying to reach you are often more than not better using another carrier especially if you book months in advance, even airfrance might not be that much more.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

It may, or may not, be the same situation from GLA, but the Air France flights from EDI are operated by a subsidiary company, Cityjet, and are also marketed through Flybe with a different pricing structure. The Easyjet flight isn't particularly well-timed, whereas Flybe/AF/Cityjet offer quite a few times. Prices through Flybe at the less popular times are often competitive with Easyjet's.

Now if only we could find a way to avoid the airline disaster area known as CDG ...

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

As others have mentioned, Ryanair's Scottish ops could go into a period of flux over the next year or so. They've clearly fallen out with EDI and PIK is up for sale and bleeding cash (will any new owners want to continue to subsidise Ruanair ops?). Who knows from where and what routes Ryanair will be operating from Scotland this time next year!? It could be any combination of EDI, PIK or even GLA.

That said, Ryanair aren't generally the earliest to release their schedules, so the fact that PIK-BVA flights aren't bookable at this point doesn't mean for certain the route has been pulled. I guess it depends if you need to book now or you can wait a month or two to see if the flights come on stream on the website later.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Re Prestwick Ryanair investeted heavily in maintenance at this location and consider it as one of thier hubs with several 737's actualy based there, therefore it would take a big shift in policy to move out altogether.

Regardless of how well Prestwick operates commercially it would never close due to its military uses.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 12:15
8. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 12:31
Edited: 09 October 2012, 12:31
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Don't think I ever said that PIK would close totally.

However, wrt to the passenger ops, I don't think it would take a big change in Ryanair policy to move out - Ryanair have pulled out of more airports than you and I have had hot dinners. Add to that declining pax numbers, Ryanair scaling back and/or moving routes to EDI and Infratil trying to offload an airport that is losing money.

PIK and Ryanair may well have a long and happy relationship, but I think such a relationship is less certain that you suggest. We'll have to wait and see.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prestwick to Beauvais cancelled?

Sorry Ne_fifer if i sounded if i doubted you, merely pointing out how strategic an airport prestwick is for it to close completly.

Dont know what the post was after my last as i did not get a chance to see it? It might have been a dig at me personally as i have had a wee bit of insults leveled at me elsewhere on here.