We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
333 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

I was amazed to be asked to show my boarding card to buy a newspaper in the departure side of Glasgow Airport last Friday.

Who is gathering this information and what are they doing with it?

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

The Shop and Collect price includes excise duty and VAT, so I'm struggling to think of a reason why you couldn't buy what you wanted even if you were flying outwith the EU.

Could it be something to do with the placement of the Shop and Collect collection points ? Maybe there isn't one after international customs on arrival ?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

Williams33 you answered your own question!

Within the EU you are allowed unlimited amounts of drink and ciggies!

Out with the EU and it is limited to 2 litres per person!

Assuming the bottles were standard 75cl then 6 equals 450cl divided by 2 person equals 225cl per person meaning you were 25cl per person over your allowance.

Can you confirm that the time you were allowed to do it you were within the EU and the time you were refused you were out with including may I add the Canaries?

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

"Within the EU you are allowed unlimited amounts of drink and ciggies"

Only because local taxes have been charged no matter where in the EU the goods were bought.

Since the Shop and Collect prices include duty and VAT, they might as well be a shop on the high street, so I can't figure out why they would restrict purchases for international travellers.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
54. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

We collected the goods at Customer Services in Arrivals, after going through customs, after a trip to Greece. We were told the whole thing applied only to travel in the EU when we tried to do the same on a trip to the USA. If the goods were duty free they exceeded our allowance (1 litre for the USA, zero for Greece), but they never left the country anyway. If they were duty paid, then I can't see the difference from ordering them in Tescos before we left and picking them up on the way back.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

Ok, so they did say it was because you were traveling out with the EU which has less of an allowance.

Next time come through Glasgow!

In over 30 years of flying I have never seen one customs officer at the nothing to declare aisle!!!

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

Curious about the Shop and Collect business, I emailed World Duty Free who told me that it was Customs and Excise who prevent them providing it to non-EU passengers.

Digging around the HMRC site I came across the regulations for "export shops" (which is apparently what duty free shops are called these days) - http://bit.ly/17tjkKF

These state that "approval may contain conditions that allow the premises to receive, hold and sell duty and VAT paid goods to passengers travelling on an EU or UK flight".

But later it contradicts this by saying "Who can buy my excise goods? [...] Excise duty-paid goods - passengers travelling on all flights. [...] If you sell duty-paid goods to [passengers flying outwith the EU], you must make sure your system can separately identify the duty and VAT payment."

So - clear as mud !

The rules may be in place to keep the accounting from becoming even more complex than it already is. If a shop sells more than half its stock duty free, it obtains all its stock duty free and pays a monthly advance to cover non-duty-free sales. Otherwise, it has to have separate duty-free and duty-paid stock.

57. Re: Boarding card needed to buy newspapaper.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow