We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

balcony booths at the o2 academy

Cockermouth...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
balcony booths at the o2 academy

Hi can anyone tell me what the view is like from the balcony booths at the 02 academy in Glasgow compared to the normal balcony. I will have a 11 year old with me so can't go in standing area. We are going to the Kerrang tour on a Sunday night and want the best possible seats.

Any near by Hotels that would be child friendly not full of drunk and loud party goers.

Thanks

Discover Scotland Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Rabbie's
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Timberbush Tours Glasgow - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Eat walk Glasgow
Food Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

Hi, I'd recommend Jury's Hotel on Jamaica Street. Its a decent reasonably priced hotel walkable to O2 Academy, close to shops, central railway station (some rooms overlook the station) and while there are some nightclubs close by I certainly never got disturbed by noise when I stayed there for a weekend. I think we had triple glazed windows.

Its possible to get a great advance rate from them directly, or through online bookers. We were signed up to their website and got an offer through. If you get an offer without breakfast, there are some great cafes nearby where you can eat well and cheaply.

glasgowhotels.jurysinns.com/…

laterooms.com/en/hotel-reservations/73764_ju…

Hope that helps

Can't advise on the booth issue. Probably worth ringing them to ask.

Edited: 26 November 2012, 16:50
Cockermouth...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

Thanks for the reply , I will check it out it sounds perfect. The info is very useful. Looking forward to the gig.

Cheers

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,670 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

As Purple says Jurys is the closest at around half a mile along a straight road easily walkable in about 6 minutes.

Premier Inn on Ballater St is the next nearest at about 10-12 mins walk although not much else in the way of facilities around that hotel.

Again couldn't say about the seating as the last time i was there it was to see the Exorcist on its opening night in Glasgow!!!

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

@Madscotsman: The New Bedford closed in 1973 and The Exorcist wasn't released until 1974. Maybe you're confusing it with the Coliseum ?

Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

I would go for general seating as last time i went as long as you arrive early the first few rows everyone has to stay seated and its first come first served iykwim. Also the balcony booths were just standing

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,670 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

Your possibly right Farley as there was 2 cinemas within yards of each other, i remembered the Bedford which latterly turned into a bingo hall but forgot the name of the Coliseum which probably stood where the fastfood kebab joint is now.

Thats almost 40 years now, surely i'm allowed a lapse in memory!! I can still recall the screams of the 3 girls sitting behind me though throughout the film!!

Cockermouth...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

Thanks medsdemon , thats just what I wanted to know.

That has helped to decide which tickets to go for as I need seats

Cheers

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

Please double check before you book - a number of concerts I've seen advertised there are for 14 years old and over. Would also recommend the general seating upstairs - not too busy and a space for the jackets too!

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

@madscotsman (with apologies to others for the OT chatter): Yes, the Coliseum was a few yards north of the New Bedford on the same side of the road. It too was a bingo hall for a while. It burned down three years back.

I first saw The Exorcist in the La Scala on Sauchiehall Street. It scared the bejesus out of me !

10. Re: balcony booths at the o2 academy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 11:15