We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat in the city centre?

nr. Invernes
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to eat in the city centre?

My wife and I will be in Glasgiw this weekend, along with our 13 year old daughter. Where would you recommend for a good meal within the city centre? Somewhere nice, not in a dodgy area, price not important, any type of food.

thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

Italmania is a little Italian cafe at the 'four corners' crossroads. Its near the road that goes from Central station on to Argyll Street, near a railway bridge. There is a food place on each of the four corners - pizza hut, mcdonalds, burger king (i think) then Italmania.

Its very informal, but a bit quirky - has some italian car hanging from the ceiling and lots of interesting memorabilia. My kids love their pizza with steak strips. As usual with Italian places, there is a friendly ambience and it is pretty authentic italian - not a boring old chain!

That said there are loads of fab restaurants there. Another fave is Dimaggios alongside Roganos, just off Buchanan Street (merchant city). There is also TGI Fridays if you like that sort of thing - its all about keeping the kids happy, then the adults will be happy too - have a great time!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

here's a link so you can take a peek inside the actual restaurant.

http://www.italmania.co.uk/

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

Paperinos on Sauchiehall street - good quality italian, great pizzas and family friendly. Nice, reasonable price, popular. Have a look at www.bestglasgowrestaurants.com/restaurants/… - the pizzas are particularly good!

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

My favourite restaurants in Glasgow city centre are:

Pancho Villas, Bell Street - great value Mexican.

The Italian Kitchen, Ingram Street - authentic Italian with real pizza oven.

Red Onion, West Campbell Street - great food, efficient service, varied menu.

Papareno, Sauchiehall Street - family owned Italian, probably the best pizzas in Glasgow.

The City Merchant, Candleriggs - lovely fish and seafood, Scottish cuisine.

Ichiban, Queen Street - Japanese cuisine and noodles, great value.

The Bastille Taverne, Argyle Arcade - Gastropub with a French twist.

London, U.K.
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

Had a memorable meal at the Ubiquitous Chip when I was last in Glasgow a while back...remember having the venison, which was delicious and the setting was very tranquil, though I don't know if they have had a refit since or not. Here's the link: http://www.ubiquitouschip.co.uk/index.htm for you to check out.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

I was in Paperino's a few weeks ago and I was really disappointed, I don't know if we were just there on a bad night but the service was terrible (and I am not fussy - honest!) - mixed up orders, ages to wait and the first time I've left and Italian restaurant still hungry due to the small portions.

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

That's unusual for Papareno's - in my experience the service is usually friendly and efficient, the food excellent and of ample proportions - particularly the pizzas. It must have been an unusually bad night that you were there.

glasgow
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

there is a gd place on saukihall street its called china buffet king its all yo can eat its quite gd

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,893 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

But apparently it has a side effect of making you dyslexic and unable to spell or type properly or read that posts are three years old!

Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where to eat in the city centre?

No need at all for smart comments like the last one when somebody is only trying to help.