We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow this summer

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow this summer

Hi,

My wife and I are just getting started on planning our trip next July for our 20th wedding anniversary The planning has been a lot of fun so far. I've been reading Tripadvisor and the Glasgow forum for the last few months and love the all the great advice. Our plan currently begins with us arriving from Vancouver in Glasgow the 3rd of July and staying until the 7th before heading down to London. I have booked 4 nights at the Sherbrooke Castle Hotel and have scheduled 1 day for a Scotland Day Tour and another for Kelvingrove Gallery. This leaves us with two full days yet to account for. What are your must do's for filling these two days keeping in mind my wife's desire for a real Scottish experience :). Keep in mind that one of them will be the day we land at 9:45 am. I suspect we will be a little tired so nothing to strenuous that day.

Regards

Dave

PS. I'll probably have a lot more questions coming up. Thanks for the help :)

Edited: 02 December 2012, 21:22
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
942 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Dramble Tours - Glasgow's Whisky Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Timberbush Tours Glasgow - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Rabbie's
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Glasgow Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,964 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow this summer

Hi Dave, If you aren't museumed-out after the wonderful Kelvingrove I'd recommend heading for a nice lunch somewhere nearby then strolling up the hill to the University to check out the small but perfectly formed Hunterian Museum (also free except for special exhibits). The bonus of doing that is that you'll get the opportunity to see the University building itself and the quads, undercroft and turrets that are said to be the inspiration for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the Harry Potter movies, and also a great view across that part of Glasgow. Stunning architecture and excellent photo-opportunities. Just whetting your appetite there!

Mentioned in this post
Hunterian Museum
Hunterian Museum
822 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow this summer

Hi Dave, as you say feel free to ask away as good planning will enable you to make the most of your visit.

I would recommend the hop on hop off bus on your first day to allow you a relaxing overview of the city and a taster to see what catches your interests then you can explore them in greater detail.

You don't say what your day trip involves so there is no point in recommending anything further in case they are included however Glasgow has the largest suburban rail network outwith London so there are loads of day trips available within an hour at around £7 each, places like Stirling, Loch Lomond and Ayrshire (Burns Country).

One thing i should mention though is don't expect a medieval castle in the Sherbrooke!

It is just a big mansion in a very affluent area but with a fast hop on the train into the city centre from the nearby Dumbreck Stn a couple of hundred yards away.

Mentioned in this post
Ayrshire
Ayrshire
Scotland, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,035 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow this summer

There's a little place called "Edinburgh" not too far from Glasgow.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow this summer

A day trip to Edinburgh is highly recommended, the Castle, the history, the atmosphere are totally different to Glasgow. There are trains every 15 minutes between the two cities and the journey takes around 50 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,035 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow this summer

Consider the Caledonian Sleeper to extend your time in Scotland

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow this summer

Wow the university looks great. A lot of history and amazing archetecture, maybe put it together with the hop on hop off bus for a good intro day. Thank you.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow this summer

I should have mentioned which day tour I'm planning to taking.

www.discoverscotlandtours.com/loch_lomond.htm

Yes I realize that Sherbrooke isn't a real castle but my wife saw the pics on their website and it was sold. She thinks it looks like a castle and that's all that matters LOL.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow this summer

Edinburgh sounds good but I thought it would be to far for a day trip. When I looked at the national rail website it looked 1:10 from downtown Glasgow and 1:30 from Dumbreck, which is close to our hotel. The edinburgh Castle looks amazing!!!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow this summer

If your tour is Loch Lomond then yes of course Edinburgh is a must.

Those times are using the longer and infrequent Eastcoast Trains service from Central into which the local train from Dumbreck goes into.

However if you take a 6 min walk round to Queen St stn there is a faster 45 min train every 15 mins to Edinburgh.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow this summer

Look at the Scotrail site for times and fares.

www.scotrail.co.uk

As above post says - loads of trains to Edinburgh and takes under one hour.

There's also the bus, which is a bit cheaper - but takes longer.

Either way, Edinburgh has to be a must visit location on a Scotland visit!!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom