We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast

Hi, heading to Glasgow tomorrow, for 2 days - staying at the Hilton near SECC. Where is good (and fairly cheap) for breakfast (the husband would prefer somewhere that does a full Scottish) either near the SECC or our first stop of the day Saturday will be the Necropolis so somewhere on the way / around that area ish, on Sunday we'll be getting a train at 12 so any places close to the station?

Mentioned in this post
The Necropolis
The Necropolis
2,635 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast

According to this thread they offer a pretty hearty breakfast in the Hilton at a reasonable cost. £8.95 apparently and it's a buffet.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186534-i211-k5017…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast

There is a Wetherspoons (The Edward Wylie) on Bothwell Steet. Maybe the Hilton brekkie was a special offer. Seems that they sometimes offer a reduced rate when you check in.

UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast

I was in the Hilton about a year back and the breakfast buffet was £17.95 a head. It's quite tasty but not worth that much !

Wetherspoons is probably the handiest and best value-for-money option. They do a full Scottish breakfast which includes lorne sausage, black pudding and tattie scone.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast

Just to reiterate that Wetherspoons are your best bet for a cheap full English or Scottish breakfast at around £3:29 or like me double up for another pound. There are loads of branches throuhout the City but for your Sunday morning one the Sir John Moore on Argyle St opposite the Radisson is within 2 mins walk of Central Stn.

I don't know if the others have picked up on this but when you say the Hilton at the SECC then i assume it is the Hilton Garden Inn (formally the Mint Hotel) therefore the Wetherspoons on Bothwell St is not near it, saying that you have a very limited choice for eating down that end, a 10 min walk up to Argyle St at Finnieston being required for any sort of variety.

Likewise not much eating wise around the Necropolis again a 10 min walk back into the City Centre required.

Mentioned in this post
The Necropolis
The Necropolis
2,635 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Finnieston
The Finnieston
631 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Sir John Moore
The Sir John Moore
410 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Mint
The Mint
340 Reviews
Coatbridge, UK
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast

Sorry, I didn't know the Mint Hotel had changed hands. I was talking about the city centre Hilton.

Mentioned in this post
The Mint
The Mint
340 Reviews
Coatbridge, UK
Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast

The Drum and Monkey on St Vincent street do a really good breakfast menu which includes a Scottish breakfast including haggis etc for a reasonable price. Their menu here:

nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thedrumandmonkeystvince…

If you want something earlier in the day the Mc Donalds bakery (not past of the fast food chain) on Union Street do great breakfasts really cheaply!

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast

The OP was visiting last week!

Where did you end up for breakfast?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast

Yeah sorry meant so say thanks - ended up in the john moore both days, having had Hilton breakfasts before I really don't think they warrant the £15 odd quid a head, especially compared to the wetherspoons breakie which costs a third of that!

9. Re: Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 07:16