We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with day rate and music question

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with day rate and music question

Hello! So, my travels will be taking me from Charlotte, NC to Edinburgh by way of Glasgow, arriving at 7am. Does anyone know if any hotels offer a day rate, meaning you are able to check in during the morning and check out later in the day? Ideally I'd like to find a place to maybe take a quick nap, freshen up and store my luggage while I explore the city before heading to Edinburgh that night.

In a totally unrelated question, I am a huge fan of Teenage Fanclub and Eugenius. Are there any record stores or other neat sights for me to check out while I'm in Glasgow?

Thanks very much for your help and look forward to seeing your beautiful city and country in June.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Day rate deals are not so common. An airport hotel might be your best bet.

As for Teenage Fanclub... at least one of the guys is on Twitter ... maybe ask him directly :)

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

As Mary says more likely to be an airport hotel although you could contact a few in the city centre direct.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,890 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

If the Fopp Records is still going strong then I would highly recommend a visit. The one-time independent record shop has had a few issues lately when its parent company got into financial difficulties. Can anyone confirm if Fopp is still up an running?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Try Love Music (Glasgow) or Avalanche (Edinburgh):

list.co.uk/places/…

list.co.uk/article/…

http://everythingflowsglasgow.blogspot.co.uk/

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Fopp on Byres Rd still open Purple as they were one of the branches saved under the HMV administration.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,890 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Thanks Madscot! I'm glad to hear it :)

On the day-room question, I think the Novotel city centre does day rooms for around £50. At least they have done so in the past so perhaps worth sending them an email enquiry.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Hi,

maybe have lunch in 13th note, you might bump into one of the Teenage Fanclub guys if they are in town. Nice'n'Sleazy has hosted gigs by both bands and is a good place to hang out if you're into music

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Thanks all, really appreciate the info! Trip is from June 2-6, with Dublin on the backend.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

I spent a night in the Alexander Thmson hotel recently, not the greatest hotel but clean and cheap. They don't seem to have a website, but I'm almost sure I saw a baord at Reception with day rates, so maybe you can try to phone them - 320 Argyle St Glasgow, Lanarkshire G2 8LY 0141 221 1152 (add Int dialling code).

It would be a lot hab=nier if you could leave your bags there than at the airport, as it's right next to Central Station where you can get a Cros Rail train to Edinburgh for around £8.00. These trains only take an hour - quicker than Scotrail from Queen Street Station.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with day rate and music question

Rather than Fopp, which is a pale imitation of its former self, you'd be much better heading to Monorail Music - a record store within a vegan restaurant/bar (you're also likely to be served by Stephen from the Pastels).