We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

Hello, a friend and I are flying into Glasgow with plans to cycle from there to Edinburgh. Does anyone know of any companies that are easy to hire bikes in one city and return them in the other? Thanks!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
583 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

I'm not a cyclist myself, but I do know friends who've done this journey. I'm not sure it'll be easy to find one-way bike hire, but others may know better.

What I would suggest you bear in mind too is that a lot of the area between Glasgow and Edinburgh is generally quite industrial/post-industrial and therefore not exactly the most scenic or attractive area of Scotland, so it'll most definitely not be a scenic cycle ride through stunning Highland scenery!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

I think you are unlikely to find sucha company. It may be much easier to cycle one way and return to Glasgow on the train.

Are you planning to cycle along the Forth/Clyde Canal?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

I'm unsure, we have very tentative plans! Anything you recommend?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,884 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

waterwaysleisure.com/waterway/…

Forth and Clyde canal is a good idea. Quite flat and passes through some nice scenery. Also allows you to see something of the Antonine (ancient Roman ) wall and the seemingly world famous Falkirk Wheel. After Falkirk you can take thcoastal route past Boness and the Forth Bridges.

Be aware that there are not that many deicated cycle paths in Scotland so you might have to share roads with fairly fast moving traffic. Are you experienced cyclists?

If that is you in the picture you certainly look fit.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

Ronaldo!!!!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

Sustrans reckon there's a road-free route from Glasgow to Edinburgh

www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map… National Route 754

(which mostly follows the canal)

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

I doubt you'll find any bike hire companies here large enough that would allow you to do pickup and drop off in different cities, although it's pretty easy to take a bike back on the train.

Last Autumn I cycled along the Forth/Clyde & Union canal paths from Croy Station (to meet canal at Auchinstary Basin) to Falkirk High station and got the train back. Journey took 2-3 hours at my 8 yr old daughter's cycle pace, and that included a stop at the Falkirk Wheel. I've walked the Union canal path from Linlithgow to Falkirk High a long while ago, you cross quite an impressive aqueduct and go through a long tunnel at Falkirk. Scenery though is about as good as you get through in the central belt with fine views of the Campsie and Kilsyth Hills; you're also on the edge of the Roman empire!

One thing about the route the canal takes into Glasgow itself, in that it passes through the Possil area which let's say isn't the best part of town, that said I've got colleagues that cycle this way to work and haven't had any problems.

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

For a direct route you would take national route 75. Small sections of it are on busy roads.

www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-75

However as me_fifer has already said it is pretty industrial in some parts especially through Airdrie and Coatbridge which has its fair share of broken glass on the paths. Make sure you have a puncture kit!

You could always ask at local bike hire shops in Glasgow if they will pick the bikes up in Edinburgh

or the best way to go about it.

www.billybilslandcycles.co.uk/hire-bikes

http://gearbikes.com/bike-hire/

Regards

Peter

Scotland
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

www.edinburghbiketours.co.uk hire out bikes and organise guided rides - worth a try!

10. Re: Cycling Glasgow to Edinburgh Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 07:18