We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Milford, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

My girlfriend and I will be in Scotland for a few days and will get to Glasgow but only for one day, on a Saturday. I was wondering what the best area would be to go to. We like eating and shopping and taking in the local culture and architecture. Not so much into museums. Anyone have some thoughts that could help?? Thank you!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

The city centre is compact and walkable.Main shopping streets are Sauchiehall St/Buchanan St/Argyle St.

You can get the hop on tour buses from George Sq which will let you see the main sights.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

Where are you staying in Glasgow? What age are you? Any particular foods you like to eat? Shopping is easier Buchanan street has the most exclusive street with argyle street and sauchiehall street aswell.

New Milford, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

We're in our late 30's. We're actually not staying in Glasgow. We're staying in Edinburgh for a few days and will be taking the train to Glasgow for the day. We up for trying most things. Nothing fancy. We like to stay more casual.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

There are several different train routes to Glasgow.

Make sure you choose the fast service to Glasgow Queen St which has only 2 or 3 stops.

Queen St is right in the city centre,next to George Sq.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

City centre for mainstream shopping and eating,

West End for more quirky shopping and eating,

If you only have one day then I would always recommend the HOHO bus tour for an overview of the city.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

Architecture: the banks of the river Clyde, or look for anthing related to Charles Rennie Mackintosh: do a Google. Edinburgh's architecture is far superior, but I would say that wouldn't I?

Being a Saturday, shops will be busy. Resist the temptation to use your elbows.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

I'd also have a good prowl around the Merchant City, just to the east of the City Centre. Some unique shops, interesting architecture, and lots of nice eateries.

http://www.merchantcityglasgow.com/

New Milford, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

This is all such great information. Thank you everyone! You are making our trip so much easier and more enjoyable!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
165 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

As above posts state - the Hop On/Off bus at George Square would be good for you (I think just over £10 each?).

Walking from George Square, you can make your way towards Bucanan Street to Argyle Street and up towards the Cathedral area. The West End is also advisable.

Lots of great architecture around the city to see and don't forget, although you stated the you're not really bothered about the museum's, there is NO admission fee for most of Glasgows attractions.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only one Saturday in Glasgow - where should we be?

Like Oasis96, I understand your view of museums and I know it's a relatively short city visit. However, if you have the time, the Riverside Museum is very much focused on Glasgow and while transport predominates, there are many other displays (inc fashion, and recreation of old street/shops) which give you a great feel for the history of the city and its people.