We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A beautiful place in Scotland?

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
A beautiful place in Scotland?

I would like to hiking in Scotland during my summer holiday, Do you have some good idea about that? thank you.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A beautiful place in Scotland?

Limitless possibilities for Hiking as there is so much outdoor space!

Have you hiked before? If not are you aware you will need some basic equipment like boots and waterproof clothes.

You could try the lower section of the West Highland Way starting at Milngavie a mile or two outside Glasgow.

Google the Ramblers association for the local Glasgow branch to join their many organised walks.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A beautiful place in Scotland?

Www.walkhighlands.co.uk is an excellent site for hiking inspiration.

There are so many places to explore. You posted this in the Glasgow forum, do you wish to hike near to Glasgow? Or can we recommend places further afield?

My favourite place to hike is in the Torridons...

Abs :)

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,279 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A beautiful place in Scotland?

The area around Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park has zillions of options!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/

Stunning scenery - high and low level walking - plenty of accommodation to suit all budgets

W x

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A beautiful place in Scotland?

I'd agree with Abs about how Special the Torridons are. However unless you're experienced in the mountains (and would you be posting on TA if you were?) the mountain tops are difficult, possibly dangerous.

There are lots of lower level routes threading through the mountains, e.g. around the northern sides of Liathach and Beinn Eighe. There are also many tracks heading into the hills south of the Torridon road.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A beautiful place in Scotland?

Personally I think plodding a 'straight' line [west highland way] for days isn't a particularly good way to get to know and love the Scottish mountains. If you want accessible mountains without undue difficulty, I agree with Woody - head for Aviemore and the Cairngorm mountains, and you'll find hundreds of forest tracks and hills of all levels of difficulty.

6. Re: A beautiful place in Scotland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17