We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

Finland
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

I'll be in Glasgow for one full and two half days this July. I'll arrive there around 5 pm and wonder what to do on my first evening (and perhaps the second, too). All museums seem to close early. I'm interested in lush gardens with water, large cathedrals, modern art, classical music, theatre and special places with a little weird atmosphere (this is a little bit difficult to define). I'm not interested in shopping, eating, pubs, discos or anything too expensive.

I'm staying near botanic gardens (plan to visit the next morning) so it would be great to find something nearby. Any thoughts?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

The Botanic Gardens will be open in the evening until sunset so that can be a nice stroll..

Check out what is on via these sights

glasgowconcerthalls.com/whatson/…

http://www.list.co.uk/events/what:Glasgow/

Glasgow Cathedral is only open during the day www.glasgowcathedral.org.uk/opening-times/

You could take an evening wander along the River Kelvin or perhaps the canal.

Although you are not interested in pubs there are a couple of churches that have been converted into pubs/restaurants/theatres that you may wish to have a look at

Oran Mor opposite the Botanic Gardens on Byres Rd/Gt Western Rd and Cottiers on Hyndland St/Highburgh Rd

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

Good ideas from William and as he says although not interested in pubs etc you will still have to eat so where better than something inexpensive off the bar menu and a soft drink in a stained glass window booth in Oran Mor which as mentioned is a converted church, you can't get any weirder than that!

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

If you want cheap eats then I have just remembered the Hillhead Book Club which is a restaurant and pub in a converted cinema in Vinicombe Street just 30 seconds from Oran Mor.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 10:56
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

Why not combine your interest in gardens and theatre and book a performance of Bard in the Botanics. Its got to be the best opportunity in many years to see one of these acclaimed performances without the presence of the ubiquitous rain. http://bardinthebotanics.co.uk/

Anything take your fancy there?

Finland
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

Such great ideas, thank you! I made a booking to one of the Bard in the Botanics performances and will definitely check at least one of the church restaurant / pubs :)

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

There may be something on at the Mitchell Library

glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/…home.aspx

The Gallery of Modern Art is open until 8pm on a Thursday

glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/…default.aspx

Check out this place http://www.sharmanka.com

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,899 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

Dessertstorm, great call on Sharmanka! A few daily/evening performances and limited space, so booking is a good adviseable, Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre is utterly mesmerising and certainly unusual!

Finland
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

Sharmanka sounds weird enough :) Hopefully I'll have time to go and see the show.

9. Re: What to do in Glasgow after 5 pm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow