We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast in Glasgow

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast in Glasgow

Can anyone recommend a good cafe for breakfast, which is on the route between Glasgow Central and Anderson/Lancefield Quay (where the car hire places are); or failing that when we've picked up the car we're travelling to Fort William, so anywhere up towards Loch Lomond would be good. I've tried filtering within restaurants but I need to see them all on the map to know whether they'd be any good and it doesn't really allow me to do this.

Looking for a good hearty Scottish brekky.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
354 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

A couple of Weatherspoon pubs around Glasgow Central.

The Sir John Moore on Argyll Street is probably your closest from Glasgow Central, not too badly priced though good hearty might be a bit to far. Ha ha

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

Also a big fan of the Wetherspoons fry up, you even have the choice of English or Scottish Farmhouse, with a mug of tea comes in at under a fiver.

Not much at all along the Broomielaw towards the car hire places

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

Thanks both - this is helpful. Can't say that I'm a fan of Wetherspoons for breakfast as they usually put it on stone cold plates and leave it sitting around so that by the time you get it it's cold. Can either of you reassure me that this isn't the case here?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

Pick up the car and double back to Coia's at 473 Duke St, G31 1RD 0141 554 3822 - great traditional breakfast - plenty of parking for under a quid or free if you use the side streets.

About 10 mins drive from Lancefield Quay

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

10ins to Coias in morning rush hour? ambitious!

Plus that's you going in the opposite direction for Loch Lomond!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

10mins to Coias in morning rush hour? ambitious!

Plus that's you going in the opposite direction for Loch Lomond!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

Join the M8 coming up under the Kingston Bridge and come off again at High Street turn left and drop down onto Duke St from behind the hospital - my morning route to work - so it works just fine - after breakfast hop onto Great Western road - sorted - or there is McDonalds Finniston

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

Or along the Broomielaw, Clyde St, up through Glasgow Cross along the Gallowgate turn left into Bellgrove St then right into Duke St!

That's the way a taxi driver would go wink wink!

All I'm saying is why go back the way for breakfast approx 3 miles when the OP stipulated a suggestion en route to Loch Lomond and Ft William!

If that's the case why not somewhere like the University Cafe at the bottom of Byers Rd

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

At Glasgow Central itself you have the Tempus Restaurant at The Grand Hotel with entrance from the station, as well as a pub (head upstairs from the concourse) which may possibly do breakfast. If you head out of the station via the lower level to argyle street you will see the radisson blu hotel to the west (opposite a wetherspoons) and they do a nice breakfast though I can't remember the price. Given your criteria I would probably head for Radisson or a wetherspoons purely for convenience of being right alongside the station.

If you were happy to drive anywhere in Glasgow after picking up your car then you'd get a ton of great suggestions but I don't get the impression you want to be doing that.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 11:14
Glasgow
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast in Glasgow

The Baby Grand at Elmbank Gardens does by far and away the best breakfast in Glasgow.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow